ForumTechnical Corner ► How to remove pre-installed programs?
My family's computer has a program installed on it called Mcafee. Not only does it tend to promote itself through built-in ads in my computer, but it takes up an insane amount of memory and CPU. Is there any way to permanently remove it so my computer doesn't have to suffer any more than it does now?

McAfee is what is known as a "trojan horse". A virus that disguises itself as "anti-virus", when it is, itself, a virus. Changing your search engine and whatnot.

I have noticed that, no matter what I try, it keeps changing my default search engine to Yahoo. That would also explain why there are about 30 copies of it running constantly, and how it cannot be force stopped by any means.

Anyways... how fix?

Windows Settings -> Apps -> Apps & Features -> McAfee -> Uninstall

If I'm remembering correctly

Thank ya. I'll try that tomorrow and see if it functions any better.

Issue - Will not let me un-install through the settings. Are there other ways to delete it?

Edit: Un-installed through Control Panel, and my computer seems to work quite a bit better than it used to. Gonna play Roblox and test how much better it actually is.

Edit 2: Just played a game that really struggles to load on my computer. Most assets loaded instantly, and I was able to get graphics up to 8 without any lag. I'd call that a success.

McAfee is an anti virus software that is so utterly awful at being an anti virus software that it looped back around into being the very thing it was meant to prevent: a virus.

Glad you managed to get rid of it! I would recommend Malwarebytes as a much better alternative. It's good for running regular scans with. I use it and the default Windows Defender for day to day monitoring.

eriophora said:
McAfee is an anti virus software that is so utterly awful at being an anti virus software that it looped back around into being the very thing it was meant to prevent: a virus.

I feel like Avast is like that but a bit less so lol

Avast used to be good like a decade ago. But yeah, nowadays it's mostly bloatware and a virus itself, sadly.

i uninstalled every antivirus on my computer

it's been like this for a few months now and my computer has yet to explode

there's nothing too important on here anyways that isn't already backed up on google drive so you know what it should be just fine

Wait... does this mean that my computer might be able to reliably run Minecraft now?

Alright, I guess that's what I'm gonna try to do tomorrow.

*laughs in chromebook*

i agree with eriphoria malwarebytes is great

just dont use malwarebyte browser guard. It sometimes block totally fine sites and i cant find a way to unblock sites

Good ol malwarebytes. Still doing the lort's work.

*laughs in chromebook*

*Laughs in extremely old school chromebook*

*laughs in 2010's era budget ideapad*

*continues laughing in 1.0 Opera Browser on Wii*

i uninstalled every antivirus on my computer

it's been like this for a few months now and my computer has yet to explode

there's nothing too important on here anyways that isn't already backed up on google drive so you know what it should be just fine

This. I also disable the built in Windows anti-virus that actually works pretty well because it doesn't like some of the programs I run.

Antiviruses are unnecessary as long as you're careful.

I also disable the built in Windows anti-virus that actually works pretty well because it doesn't like some of the programs I run.

It's easy to get around that while leaving the anti-virus on.

Antiviruses are unnecessary as long as you're careful.

This isn't true; if a reputable website is compromised you could get a virus that way, for instance.

Forum > Technical Corner > How to remove pre-installed programs?