ForumTechnical Corner ► DIY, Making, and other Hack-Adjacent Things
There doesn't seem to be a thread for this already (if there is, someone please correct me), but considering it seems there are a lot of other makers/hackers on the site, it might be interesting to have a thread to share projects or ideas you've been working on, as well as field feedback or tips from each other.

I guess I'll start. I've got a couple of projects I'm mulling over in the back of my head.

The first idea I've had is to create a doomsday laptop. In case you can't tell, I'm a bit of a nerd, and I really want to build a desktop computer, with the twist that the components would be built in to a briefcase. Kind of like the nuclear football, but an aluminum briefcase, like something out of an armageddon film. Something similar to this pc. Probably not water-cooled, though, and definitely not as expensive (probably shooting for 8GB Mem/256GB SSD). The plan is to also have an embedded display, keyboard, and trackball mouse in order to get it to basically serve as a hybrid desktop/laptop solution. Portability and power. Plus, it would look really cool as a bonus, and I get to freak out TSA. Perhaps throw a few Nixie tubes (or LIXIEs, given the price of Nixies these days) and a keypad or two, and you'd get the ultimate functional prop.

My roommates and I are also looking into spoofing the school's starship fleet by cannibalizing an electric skateboard to make a rideable clone just to screw with passerby. We were also thinking of making a "Starshit" clone for Halloween, using a bunch of discount components (cardboard box, pocket flag, webcams, raspberry pi, RC car, etc.) to make a knock-off version to hopefully get some good double-takes.

Any ideas or tips, if you've got experience with either of these? (Or feel free to share your passion/pet projects below!)

Woah. You can build a full on computer?

It's not hard. Buy the components (Motherboard, Processor, RAM, Storage, Bootloader, GPU), plug them into each other following some simple rules that you can find online if you need help, and buy a windows license.

It's more expensive and intensive than most store-bought PCs, though.

Most hardcore PC people build their own. It's easy to build a desktop (relatively speaking). It's harder to build a laptop (batteries tend to catch fire and/or go boom)

You forgot I'm not into computer stuff.

You don't need to be. It's as simple as finding a part list a friend says looks good and plugging everything in where it looks like it goes.

That's literally what I did. Now I'm a computer guy. It's not hard to start.

I have a longboard
Can I make it eletric?

I'd be interested to see how these things turn out.
So you're telling us you have robots roving around your school?

To make a longboard electric, what would I need other than this?
https://www.amazon.com/Electric-Skateboard-Controller-Longboard-Substitute/dp/B07WT183JN/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=electric+longboard+conversion+kit&qid=1631239053&sr=8-3

Kylljoy said:
It's more expensive and intensive than most store-bought PCs, though.

Yeah, a YouTuber I watch harvested a 3080 out of a prebuilt for the cost of a 3080, he also got a SSD and 32 GB of ram

Samsung23 said:
To make a longboard electric, what would I need other than this?

I see no motors in that kit. Or batteries. It's just a power distribution board, motor controller, and RC receiver, it looks like.
You don't need to be. It's as simple as finding a part list a friend says looks good and plugging everything in where it looks like it goes.

Yeah, computers are basically plug-and-play if you've got the right components. As long as you have the parts and an anti-static wristband, almost anyone can put one together.

I say this having installed a storage expansion on my current computer without knowing what I was doing.
ecr674 said:
So you're telling us you have robots roving around your school?

Yes, and they are adorable and also everywhere. It is hard to walk to class without tripping over one.

They deliver to dorms because students are lazy and do not want to pay a tip to an actual human being.
Yeah, a YouTuber I watch harvested a 3080 out of a prebuilt for the cost of a 3080, he also got a SSD and 32 GB of ram

Computer companies pay rock-bottom prices for components because they buy in bulk and wholesale (and/or manufacture them in-house) so you will always be better off buying a computer from a manufacturer if it has similar stats to the computer you want to build.

So I need those things?

If you want to be able to move, yes.

And based on the reviews, that board might not be very reliable.

I want robots in my school to be my personal servant!

Man, college looks quite fun.

Sed

e-bag said:
I want robots in my school to be my personal servant!

There's only thirteen schools that are dealing with them, all engineering schools. They have a tendency to get hit by cars and trains.

Come to Purdue! We're the onlyFUCK IU University in the state of Indiana, one of the best engineering schools internationally, and we've got a Starship fleet to heed your every beck and call.

EDIT : Also, you're a train guy? Our mascot is a train! (Technically, two of them). And we regularly run over people in Bloomington drive it to away games (it's street legal!)

I am definitely not being paid by the admissions office to advertise.

Well, if I weren't a junior in high school I'd might

I know you guys are the boilermakers, but there's two train mascots?

The Boilermaker Special, and the Boilermaker X-tra Special

Wonderful names.

Those sound lovely.

My school has a club for literally building a plane. they bought a plane building kit and they are going to make a functional plane

not really a hack but its neat

My school has a eSports club

My school has a club for literally building a plane. they bought a plane building kit and they are going to make a functional plane

not really a hack but its neat

That's it. I'm moving to your state to be your test pilot.

DIY is the definition of a hack. That's really cool!

Given the track record of my high school robotics team and our propensity to accidentally set things on fire, I wouldn't actually trust anything built by a high schooler, but it's still cool nonetheless

Kylljoy said:
Given the track record of my high school robotics team and our propensity to accidentally set things on fire, I wouldn't actually trust anything built by a high schooler, but it's still cool nonetheless

yeah thats why im staying away from the club, but i still wanna see how it turns out

Forum > Technical Corner > DIY, Making, and other Hack-Adjacent Things