ForumTechnical Corner ► DIY, Making, and other Hack-Adjacent Things
Might want to check that out, see how well they're doing

I wish my high school built anything

It built a high school

*Applause*

*bows*

I wish my high school built anything

It's not too late to start a club yourself.

In fact, why don't I start a tutorial here about how to build (probably illegal) bottle rockets? With actual (in the most technical sense) NASA-grade rocket fuel?

This is a very bad idea.

Yeah, lemme just hit up my rocket fuel dealer RQ.

You called?

e-bag said:
Yeah, lemme just hit up my rocket fuel dealer RQ.

Nonono, I would be teaching you how to make rocket fuel. For less than 50 bucks, if I'm correct.

20 bucks if we're being cheap here

Oh, I see, I see.

30 dollars, mid-range.

Kylljoy said:
Given the track record of my high school robotics team and our propensity to accidentally set things on fire, I wouldn't actually trust anything built by a high schooler, but it's still cool nonetheless

your school's robotics team set things on fire? That's way beyond mine lmao

aprzn123 said:
your school's robotics team set things on fire? That's way beyond mine lmao

No, we weren't associated with the school. We just kinda operated out of a garage without any responsible oversight. So things were very, very unhinged.

A bunch of teenagers together with power tools? What could go wrong?

A few fires were on accident, most of the time on purpose. We ran out of acetone very quickly for that reason.

e-bag said:
Oh, I see, I see.

30 dollars, mid-range.

Step one : get a 9 volt battery, a glass of water, some mechanical pencil lead, and some alligator clip wires

Kylljoy said:
some mechanical pencil lead, and some alligator clip wires

Thanks for reminding me of this

Kylljoy said:
Step one : get a 9 volt battery, a glass of water, some mechanical pencil lead, and some alligator clip wires

A used one OK?

I am prepared to set fire / explode my house.

i would think so but idk

Kaboom

How dare you make me want to make a video

This is your fault

Can't watch it lol

If you watched part four of JJBA

Spoiler text below. Highlight to read.
It's Shegechi's death

e-bag said:

A used one OK?

I am prepared to set fire / explode my house.

Used one should be fine. 1.5 volts is all you need.

Step 2 : Clip a couple of lead sticks onto one end of both clips. Tape the ends of the wires so the lead sticks (but not the clips) dip into the water. Separate the sticks from each other as far as possible.

Step 3: Quickly tap the ends of the wires to the terminals of the batteries. Small bubbles should form in the water.

Step 4: Light a match over the glass (Warning : You might explode)

Add salt beforehand if you want to produce chlorine gas instead. For, y'know, accurate WWI reenactments

Kylljoy said:

(Warning : You might explode)

Again

To be clear, the electrolysis of water is fine. Electrolysis of salt water will probably kill or injure you and anyone else in the house (unless you do less than a glass, and even then I wouldn't recommend it), unless you have a working gas mask.

No joke.

what other somehwat dangerous chemical reactions can you do with household things

Forum > Technical Corner > DIY, Making, and other Hack-Adjacent Things