ForumTechnical Corner ► Chrome Incognito "Popup" Window. How to?
I'm trying to figure out how to create a bookmark that, when clicked, will open an Incognito window. But the thing is, I want it to open the window in the "popup" style. As in, without the tab bar, without the Omnibar, and without the bookmarks bar.

I'm not a developer of any sort, I just did some research and this is what I was able to find so far:
javascript:window.open("http://www.google.com", "detab", "toolbar=0"); window.close()
Inserted that little tidbit into the URL for a new "bookmark". When I click it, it opens Google in an almost-what-I-want window. But it's not incognito.

Ideally, I want it to not have the URL bar and be incognito.
Help?

If you right click a bookmark, there's the option to open in an incognito window. Does that work with the javascript thing?

I never checked that. But I just did, and that option is grayed out.
Even if it did work, I'd still like it to be a single-click thing, if possible.

Wait, for some reason it isn't grayed out anymore. So that's always an option, if I can't figure out how to add it to the bookmarklet itself.

Do you want it to load any page in particular? A blank page with no navigation bar seems pretty useless.

Edit: Well, I made a simple extension that does basically what you said. I don't know how to make it a bookmarklet instead of a button though. Let me know if you want the default page changed.

Double Edit: The source, if you're interested, looks like this:

manifest.json:
{
  "name": "Incognito Popup Button",
  "description": "Creates an incognito popup with the omnibox hidden.",
  "version": "1.0",
  "background": {
    "persistent": false,
    "scripts": ["background.js"]
  },
  "browser_action": {
    "default_title": "New Incognito Popup",
    "default_icon": "icon.png"
  },
  "manifest_version": 2
}

background.js:
chrome.browserAction.onClicked.addListener(function(tab) {
  chrome.windows.create({url: "about:blank", type: "popup", incognito: true});
});

WOW! Thank you, Hydro. Truly above and beyond, and I am eternally grateful.

Could you set the page to be Google?
EDIT: Or, if it's simple to do, create an options dialogue to set my own page?

Also, I'm completely fine with it being an extension button. That's preferred, actually. I was only going for a bookmark because I couldn't seem to find any extensions that did exactly that.

Also, perhaps the icon could be a mix between the Incognito logo and something like this or this?
I'd photoshop it myself but I don't have my personal laptop with me right now.

Also also, in case you were wondering, my reasoning for trying to find something like this is because I'd like to have a very small window open on the side for searches and stuff. It's weird and oddly specific, but hey, it's apparently very simple, right? :)

You can just change "about:blank" to "http://google.com" or whatever other URL your heart desires.

Oh, I know that. But I don't know how to compile my own extensions, so it doesn't help me :(

If you put those two files in a folder, named as Jon has named them, you can go to your extensions tab, enter "developer mode" or something, then hit a button called "load unpacked extension" and select that folder.

(It's been a bit since I've done it; I might have left out a step, but hopefully it's at least enough to Google off of)

You're welcome! I changed the popup to Google and published version 1.1 with this change. You can find it with the same link as before. Adding a form for the URL is probably easy but would require a bit more work.

If anyone's willing to make those icons, I'll update the extension again to use them.

Edit: I didn't see those last two posts before I posted because I had the page up for awhile. Fwip is correct (see also this page), though you'll also need either an icon file or to remove the icon file info, probably.

I'm confused. The manifest thing you provided, where am i supposed to put that? And what is the background thing for? I need to be able to click on the bookmark and a incognito window popup appears and that's it. BOOKMARKLET FORM, not html

...That's because that's the source for the button, in case you were curious how it works. The button itself is available as an extension in the link he provided. Here, if you missed it.

I LITERALLY CANT ADD THE EXTENSION BECAUSE ITS BLOCKED WHY DO YOU THINK IM LOOKING FOR A BOOKMARKLET ON THE INTERNET IF I COULD JUST ADD IT FROM THE CHROME WEB STORE. I DONT NEED THAT I JUST ASKED ONE THING AND APPARENTLY NO ONE SPEAKS ENGLISH

jfc, calm down! Also it's been over a year lol.

There went your last chance of anyone caring about your special problem. Watch it fly away.

Sorry to say it but: suck it up, buttercup, what you're asking for is NOT POSSIBLE without an extension. I don't know you, I don't know what you've got going on in your life, but you're way out of line and acting almost impossibly entitled. Work on them interpersonal skills and get back to us when you're able to not launch into an all caps rage over something as stupid as a bookmark.

Forum > Technical Corner > Chrome Incognito "Popup" Window. How to?