ForumTouchy Subjects ► I Voted
Did you? Why/why not?

No.

There wasn't an election here (or in over 90% of the world).

:// we had a mock election today at school, so technically I did

Voted by mail a week ago.

I can't, I'm not of age yet.

The first U.S. Election I can vote in would be in 2022

I’m gonna vote in my mock election, but I can’t really vote until the 2022 midterms.

gws said:
Did you? Why/why not?

No.

I'm at work in a proposal meeting until 5. I'll vote then.

Voted early like a week ago. I have basically zero faith in electoral politics but like its pretty quick and easy and might at least slow the bleeding in this garbage country. Plus I'm not taking any chances with Q3 (an attempt to remove trans anti-discrimination protections in MA).

Had my absentee ballot hand delivered yesterday.

I voted on the high offices - governor, senate, AG - and a couple local-er ones where I knew something about the candidates. But I hadn't given myself enough time to research all the offices. Given the current state of campaign advertising, I can't trust the face value of any political message that someone else wants me to pay attention to. Therefore I wasn't comfortable casting a vote based on name recognition alone. I left about half blank - basically the offices that don't even identify the candidates' parties. Not terribly proud of that.

Next election here is 2020, can't vote in America.

Well, make it count. Don't ignore the process like we've gotten in the habit of doing here; you might end up with an orange.

Yup, voting matters. The person on your local power board is usually more consequential to your daily life than the people in high office. Thankfully the only orange golem in New Zealand politics is our voting mascot:

Grayseff said:
Next election here is 2020, can't vote in America.

But Luci voted and that's what counts!

I strongly appreciate people who leave things blank rather than vote by party.

I voted, but most of the people I voted for lost. 😢

Perhaps there should be a box that says "I absolutely abhor all candidates and disapprove of them governing my (state/country/town/place)"

@Hydrogen777
A partial ballot is better than no ballot at all but leaving anything blank is, for the purpose of that race or referendum, the same as not showing up. In my case I feel like the local races were the most important since it's local politics that sets the background tone and culture of larger-scale issues in the future. Watering the soil under the grassroots, as it were. And I didn't put enough effort into finding out where I stood on half the names on there.

@mariokirby64
It's an attractive sentiment, to be sure. Why even bother voting the bums out when they're just going to be replaced with more bums?

gws said:

It's an attractive sentiment, to be sure. Why even bother voting the bums out when they're just going to be replaced with more bums?

Because the old bums already have their fingers in the till and the new will take time to get set up.

If I have no genuine preference, I usually vote for the one most likely to oust the incumbent.

I figure it's like multiple choice tests. If you know anything about the candidates, you should vote rather than leave it blank. That includes knowing their party affiliation, imo.

As a tie breaker, sure. But the entries for Assistant Dogcatcher etc. don't list anything but names.

I am not yet voting age, but I plan to register to vote before next election. I really don't know what to do as far as the political party, though. On one side, it seems like registering with a major party ensures I have a chance to vote for someone who stands a chance of winning, but I might agree more with a minor party.
I really want to take time to research and decide my stances on all the big issues soon, I don't want to vote blindly.

evergreen said:
I am not yet voting age, but I plan to register to vote before next election. I really don't know what to do as far as the political party, though. On one side, it seems like registering with a major party ensures I have a chance to vote for someone who stands a chance of winning, but I might agree more with a minor party.
I really want to take time to research and decide my stances on all the big issues soon, I don't want to vote blindly.

If you’re in the U.S., then you are not really given a choice.

It’s like voting for one of the minor parties in China. They exist to say, “we allow the people to be represented,” but they are completely under the will of the CPC (Communist Party of China).

Think of it this way: the U.S. has (nearly always had) a two party system. Dictatorships and other one party states have a one party system. That’s only a one party difference. Just one party ensures the U.S. is called a democracy.

Votes for small parties help no one, especially because of the silly “electoral system” that has, over time, given more voting power to the people who voted for Trump.

I guess what I’m saying is, remember the system when you vote.

DIAV said:
If I have no genuine preference, I usually vote for the one most likely to oust the incumbent.
For me ties go to the incumbent. I think experience is undervalued. I voted against incumbents only when I thought the challenger was significantly better qualified or the incumbent had been doing a lackluster job.
Fwip said:
I figure it's like multiple choice tests. If you know anything about the candidates, you should vote rather than leave it blank. That includes knowing their party affiliation, imo.
Personally I think party is such a bad proxy for candidate quality that I think you're just adding noise to the selection process. In my own district, there were some really bad Democrats and some really bad Republicans. If enough people vote along party lines, it's entirely possible for awful candidates to ride their party to victory, especially in local elections which get much less press and attention.
I guess what I’m saying is, remember the system when you vote.
Hear, hear.

Pretty sure you shouldn't be voting for a party just cause you support the general ideas of the party. You should vote for the people you think will best represent your beliefs in the (insert law making body of your country here).
Also a vote to a minor party is not useless. Just cause they won't win is not a reason to not vote, it's about representing your stand to the politicians. Or something along those lines.

Pretty sure you shouldn't be voting for a party just cause you support the general ideas of the party. You should vote for the people you think will best represent your beliefs in the (insert law making body of your country here).
Also a vote to a minor party is not useless. Just cause they won't win is not a reason to not vote, it's about representing your stand to the politicians. Or something along those lines.

Sorry, but I find this... naïve. Your voice doesn’t matter when the consequences of thinking your voice is individually important is ending up with a nationalist Cheeto in power who threatens the very system that let you express your “individually important” voice.

Go ahead. Express your individual voice. Let’s hope you can express it in the future without a Bürgerkrieg.

Again: you must play the cards that are dealt.