ForumTouchy Subjects ► Furries
Seeing as this sparked an extended conversation in the Hate Thread in general discussion and that one person has suggested it, I have made this thread for further discussion.

Dragon was an older user who has since left.

We may not want to go through this. There was a combination of bad faith on all sides, some bullying on our part and some overreaction on his part that shouldn't be revisited.

But yes he was a vocal furry.

I'm kinda a vocal furry.

is this him/her? https://twocansandstring.com/users/dragon

removed

edit: I found the Wikipedia page pretty interesting, in terms of correlations and stuff

Orright. In case the first "let's not go there" wasn't clear. I don't think we need either a "slag off an old user who felt bullied" circlejerk or a pity party for a user who picked fights in a thread about furries just because he happened to be a furry. Ask an older user privately if you're curious , but not here.

ok. Anyways, the link azerty posted in copy pasta was pretty interesting.
here ya go
https://i.redd.it/ppsdem4ocoe21.png

So here's what gets me: if furries went "my fursona is role playing which I enjoy." That'd be fine right? People play D&D and tell stories online and draw fantasy art, but I draw this huge line when people claim it's part of their identity; we rightly don't take people seriously if they claim to identify as a wizard outside of roleplaying contexts, but we're expected to by furries online.

I’m starting to get the feeling that furry is something of a weird.... subculture. Is this a good assessment?

I don't know.... I don't even think it's a subculture of something else. I think it's just its own internet culture.

Then what is it?

I.e. I am telling you to explain what makes this not a subculture, rather its own culture. I have other questions I want to delve into after things progress.

To this outsider, it appears to be half based on expressing oneself as an anthropomorphic animal through art, one's online presence and role-playing, and half based on defending the furry community against perceived criticism.

Is afanewmerik the only furry on this site? It seems this thread is going to be very one-sided

If that’s the case, then please don’t feel as though I am attacking you, rather furries have confused me for quite some time. I want to know as well what it means to express yourself through some vehicle like this.

If that’s the case, then please don’t feel as though I am attacking you, rather furries have confused me for quite some time. I want to know as well what it means to express yourself through some vehicle like this.

Ditto. I've always thought of it as weird, but then again, so did the Europeans of the Americas. I suppose I could always learn something new.

I'm not the only furry, as a certain question I asked has proved. There's also at least another one active on the forum but i'm not revealing his/her identity.

Okay, but if they're not revealing who they are, they aren't going to be able to contribute to this thread. At this point we're really not doing more than speculating about furries. One furry helps but I feel it's unfair to represent any community by a single member.

I don't see that the can't contribute, they would just have to be careful if they don't want to reveal their affiliation.

I'm a pretty firm believer in the "no harm, no foul" rule, and I don't see that furries are hurting anyone, even the sexual subset (consenting adults, yes?). I don't understand them, but I don't understand the hysterical opposition either.

I don't think that building your identity around being a furry is very good for individuals or for society in general, which is also how I tend to feel about sexual minorities. It very quickly becomes exclusionist and builds barriers where it would be better to just be... People.

Have fun crafting a fursona, absolutely. Make yourself a costume. Nothing wrong with any of that as a hobby.

The issue, I think, arises when you try to claim it's "who you are" as opposed to "something you enjoy" and insist it makes you somehow different from other people.

It's kinda the same as claiming you identify as a DnD dungeon master or something. Or that you identify specifically as a tennis player, in the same way furries claim furry-ness. People are more than just a job, hobby, or activity.

I suppose, but a lot of people associate and align with fandoms (I.E. I could identify as a Whovian or a Metalhead [ Or even a Cumberbitch I suppose, because that's a thing ] ). I think it may be about personally identifying, and more identifying alongside the other members of the community.

Emphasis : I think - I'm far being even well-read on this topic

Zia said:
It's kinda the same as claiming you identify as a DnD dungeon master or something. Or that you identify specifically as a tennis player, in the same way furries claim furry-ness. People are more than just a job, hobby, or activity.
I identify as a computer programmer because it's not just a job or even a career; there are ways of thinking about the world that have been informed by my education and training that apply beyond work. I identify as a parent for the same reasons, and a mid-level nerd, and a lefty.
... If, that is, I'm even using the term in the same way as everyone else means it. Are we supposed to pick one best label or is it okay to identify differently to different groups? How about in different conversations with the same people?

I'm not the only furry, as a certain question I asked has proved. There's also at least another one active on the forum but i'm not revealing his/her identity.
What is furry. Seriously. You’re the only furry posting here. What is furry?

I'm not a furry, but it seems like almost all my friends are these days.

Generally, when someone says to you "I'm a kitty" or "I'm a polar bear," they're describing a set of personality characteristics, sometimes aspirationally. It describes how they want to be seen and interacted with.

These personality traits are usually those that us humans apply to animals, rather than innate characteristics of the animals. A fox might pride themselves on their cleverness, a dog might want to be seen as devoted and loyal, and a grizzly bear might be fiercely protective of those they care about.

In a sense, your fursona is a representation of yourself not just in an aesthetic sense, but also reveals the traits you value in yourself. Sharing your fursona is a short way to introduce yourself to others in the furry community.

I have not ever interacted with any people who say "I am literally a wolf and if you don't believe me you are oppressing me and my pronouns are bark/awoo," and while I'm sure there are a few who exist, they don't seem representative of any furry I've ever met.

Edit: Some of my friends inform me that what I wrote is true for some people, but "sometimes they just really like wolves :-P"

Can I identify as INTp?

@Fwip: I mean, in that case is there much of a difference then between a furry and a basicTM white girl with a "spirit animal?"
I have a wolf avatar because I like them and all, but I seemingly have nothing else in common with furries. There's clearly something other than "liking the qualities of an animal" at play here.

I’d like to know that and also why furry art always must be drawn in the style of Japanese anime and shared on boards such as those that go (number)chan.