ForumTouchy Subjects ► Happiness
So... depression is a thing. I don't know what to do or where to go. I am only 16 and my parents are they type to say "What do you have to be sad for? Think of the kids in Africa." But I don't know. I used to think that me being sad was a bad thing and I would feel guilty of it. Now I know that there is something wrong with me and I don't know where to turn. I know it's against the rules of this forum to post saying that you are suicidal but here's the thing. I am not really suicidal. I just want to be happy again. There is nothing that gives me joy anymore. I don't have real fun at all. Everything just disracts me from what is real and as soon as it's over I just go back to being sad. I can't find lasting happiness where I feel good about myself and about others. I always feel so negative about everything and I just can't think of what to do.

I always feel so negative about everything and I just can't think of what to do.

Honest Question : Have you tried talking to a doctor or bringing this up with a psychiatrist? I know for some it seems like they might not be able to help, but they are trained professionals, and it's always worth a shot. At the very least, they could always try to prescribe you antidepressants.

Hi! I have depression as well, and I think our depression is slightly different? Because mine did sort of manifest as suicidal thoughts. But I do understand the wanting to be happier, and nothing giving you joy anymore. I think. Because you're you and I'm me and I can't see exactly in your head? So I guess I can empathize. I have visited some depression talk sites where you can talk to others who might understand what you're going through, and for me personally, it really helped.
Also... Just because your life isn't like that of those in Africa, that doesn't mean you can't have depression. I told a girl once that I had depression, and she asked me why, and I told her I didn't know why, because I don't. My life isn't bad at all, I have both of my parents, my sister, we're doing alright overall... And I'm still sad.
But being sad isn't something you can control, it's just your brain chemicals not knowing exactly how to keep themselves in check.
So... I guess I'd suggest doing some research on depression? And showing your parents. If that doesn't work, talk to your doctor privately in your next appointment... Ask your parents to leave the room if they come in with you, and if they don't come into the room with you, then just talk to your doctor. You want to be happier; tell them that. It's scary... I still have issues talking to my doctor. About depression. Because I'm embarrassed and a bit guilty... You're past that point though (I think), which is good! :)
Talk to your close friends? That can also help. If you have a sibling you trust... Their backup is also really helpful when talking to your parent... Unless your sibling is uncomfortable around mentions of depression, then just wear a big coat or something (lol).
Anywho, if you ever need somebody to talk to, I'll listen :)

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Happiness