ForumTouchy Subjects ► The Draft-Male AND female
The Trump administration has moved to defend the male-only military draft, appealing a federal court ruling that Selective Service registration is unconstitutional because it discriminates based on sex.

What’s your take? Everyone regardless of sex?

Also: for some background-
If young men don’t register-

A young man who fails to register with Selective Service may be ineligible for opportunities that may be important to his future. He must register to be eligible for federal student financial aid, state-funded student financial aid in many states, most federal employment, some state employment, security clearance for contractors, job training under the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (formerly known as the Workforce Investment Act), and U.S. citizenship for immigrant men.

https://www.sss.gov/Registration/Why-Register/Benefits-and-Penalties

In the past, the Supreme Court has upheld the constitutionality of requiring men to register but not women (Rostker v. Goldberg), but the ruling was based on the exclusion of women from combat at the time. Since the Combat Exclusion Policy was lifted in 2013, I see no reason why women should be excluded from the selective service system.

I think we can do away with the selective service.

We haven't needed a draft in nearly fifty years, and if we need one in the future, we don't need the selective service act to do it.

Motivation: I think the US is too eager to get into military conflict as it is. We don't need to make it easier to upgrade any given conflict into Vietnam 2.

In response to-eliminating the selective service-
Our military is an all volunteer force. Has been since 70’s. The selective service stands today as a contingency force for the defense of the Nation. I’d like to believe the world has changed (progressed?) where a full scale conflict is impossible due to diplomacy and via the UN. But we don’t live in a fantasy world. We may have been too distracted fighting in the GWOT the last 18 years to recognize that other nations are continuing to grow and expand their military industrial complex.

Anyways- I personally think, with the social progressive mindset in today’s youth, to say the selective service should be limited to the male sex only, would be very hypocritical and a step backwards to equal treatment. Particularly with the recent opening of all combat roles to females.

The Department of Defense hasn't been about defending the country since (at least!) the end of the Soviet Union. Might as well rename it the Ministry of Peace but the generations who've read 1984 are still voting and it would be too much trouble to ban the book first.

But as for eliminating SS, sure, might as well. At this point war is industrialized and it's our natural resources we're wasting on it, not human ones.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > The Draft-Male AND female