ForumTouchy Subjects ► Unpopular Opinions
Exactly and I still wanna punch those bitches in the face for saying it just makes it life on easy mode.

John Amaechi gave one of the best explainations I've heard regarding white privilege.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/bitesize/articles/zrvkbqt

"There's a good chance, as a white person watching this, your life is already hard. Every day you have to overcome some difficulty or challenge just to get by, but you can still have white privilege. White privilege doesn't mean you haven't worked hard or you don't deserve the success you've had. It doesn't mean that your life isn't hard or that you've never suffered. It simply means that your skin colour has not been the cause of your hardship or suffering."

There's a lot more that he says, but that's the gist.

The concept of white privilege was coined by American feminist and anti-racist activist Peggy McIntosh in 1988. She gave no less than 50 specific examples of what white privilege is.

In my estimation, "white privilege" is a USA-centric iteration of what could more accurately be called "local majority privilege". Most of what she says would apply to other races in other countries.

For example, No. 1 is "I can if I wish arrange to be in the company of people of my race most of the time." That's true for white people in the USA, but it's also true for black people in Nigeria. So is it white privilege or just majority-of-the-country privilege?

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Unpopular Opinions