ForumTouchy Subjects ► Keep children off the internet
holy crap please arrest these douchebags

It's one of the hardest parts about being a teacher. I want to adopt all the kids with crappy parents.

Are you not obligated to report statements like that? I thought any mention of violence (among other things) had to be officially docmented.

Every single one. He's got his own filing cabinet.

if children weren't on the internet, there wouldn't be this bullshit that probably everybody knows about called "youtube kids"

i don't even know what to say about this guy

shhh

Boomerbook goes down shortly after a 60 Minutes interview with an ex-employee that accuses the platform of harming kids and teens airs, interesting

Kid-proofing the internet and using it in a way that *gasp* enriches a child's life has a ways to go, but I support it. Issue is: nobody knows how to engage children. The average parent, at least where I'm from, only knows that yelling and spanking are temporary solutions to being bothered. Also that jangling keys is effective when you don't use your child as an emotional (or sometimes physical) punching bag.

Past that, parents feel useless. Internet-related, I think of the YouTube Kids app. First thing I noticed: music in the menus. Really? You don't engage a child by using every possible bell and whistle. Imagine if you opened your online banking site and it had to play the hokey-pokey the whole time. And every video? Just nursery rhymes repeated en masse for profit. Oh, and clickbait where Elsa is pregnant with a pink Spiderman. The filter's ineffective and still shows kids mature content, and it's focused on being pretty instead of effective.

And so how do you know how to properly engage a kid? Oh you know, pay attention to how they respond to stimuli and interact with the world. Hey maybe someone's kid loves everything blue, or really likes dinosaurs. You can see what they like, if you ask them. Engaging with your own children and giving them the chance to develop emotional intelligence, through letting them talk to you and others, is the important thing, because then WHAM it's way easier to explain how to be safe on the internet and use the computer.

And what do I think the internet is good for, for kids? Learning, and maybe some parent-vetted news. Hell maybe even some PBS Kids activities, if you're so bold. Maybe once they're 10 you can show them safe ways to interact with others on sites that are safe for kids (of which there are few). That's all that's really safe.

Notice the big thing? Being active as the parent and being there, actually guiding them. Not using the tablet as a babysitter and going to bed. I know, scary for most people. But you all, especially those of you here who are parents? You get it, a hell of a lot better than anyone else. Of course I'm no expert so, as always, take the opinions expressed here with a grain of salt.

Pardon any awkward wording; I'm hella tired, and a tad emotionally messed up today. Can't be asked to write in any form other than stream of consciousness.

I don't understand why people see the internet as different than the rest of society.

Because you can be a complete stranger, or 5 at a time, online

So? Do you know every person you see on the street?

Can you pretend to be 5 people at a time on the street?

So? Do you know every person you see on the street?
You can see what they're doing though. It's easier to get an idea of how safe you are.

But you understand more about different people on the internet than on the street. Learning about other ways of life and ideas from people not in the same area as you are essential to learning children.

Why else would I be on the internet right now and sharing ideas about keeping children off the internet?

W_Licky said:
But you understand more about different people on the internet than on the street. Learning about other ways of life and ideas from people not in the same area as you are essential to learning children.

Why else would I be on the internet right now and sharing ideas about keeping children off the internet?
Was responding to how the internet is different from other areas of society.

caveat said:
Can you pretend to be 5 people at a time on the street?

I mean if you really wanted to

that would be pretty funny

Here's my two cents on this: While it's very true that you can pretend to be anyone you want on the internet and that it's impossible to know everyone on it, what makes the internet more dangerous for kids is how brazen some people can be in harming kids, especially in comparison to how bold they would be about it on the street.

You may not be able to pretend to be five people at once on the internet, but you also can't physically abuse someone on the internet either. It's all just humans.

You may not be able to pretend to be five people at once on the internet, but you also can't physically abuse someone on the internet either. It's all just humans.
I mean, yeah, you can't hurt someone physically, but you can still psychologically abuse them. And you straight up can essentially molest kids online too. I know it's not that common, but it still happens.

I'm pretty far from where I started which was "no children at all", I'm basically back to "Let everyone use the internet" but there's definitely risks that come with using the internet more so than outside of it. Not necessarily molestation but you're open to way more people online than you are offline. Children and teenagers use Omegle- let that be a big point here.

What I'm saying is that there are risks no matter what - whether it's online or offline, humans create risk for other humans.

Yeah, I get you. Idk. I'm out of ideas, man. Fuck the internet anyway. I've never used it in my life.

A lot of the tactics are pretty similar, offline and online. The biggest difference is that the internet makes children more accessible to predators.

Not only that, but it gives the predators a sense of security which prompts them to act more brazenly.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Keep children off the internet