ForumTouchy Subjects ► Nicotine isnt addicting for me?
So, I'm really confused, for a LOTTTTT of people, say that vaping is extremely addicting, but I literally tried vaping for 3 months and I disliked it so much I had to FORCE myself to do it, I did it cause I knew it was bad for me, and therefore a form of self-harm, but it was so easy to quit, and I would've thought the way people say it is extremely addicting I would get hooked on it, but no, it's like I constantly hated every second of it, and I was able to just stop doing it for a day, then a week, then a month, now a year. It was literally the easiest thing to quit. I thought nicotine was addicting? Or is my body just different than other people? Is there a reason for this?

How were you feeling that day? What was the setting like? Who were you with and what did y’all’s conversation go like when finally someone pulled out a vape you and you started hitting it? Was everyone like having a good time, maybe laughing and like “lol let’s be bad kids” basically? Or were you feeling like horse shit at the moment you inhaled? Because if it was basically a chill day with you and your friends, then you didn't feel any reason to come back to it. Nicotine is addicting, but it's not so addicting that one dose is going to kick start a physical dependency. It's not crack or heroin (even with these it's not unheard of for people to try them once and never again). Usually when people get immediately addicted it's because they notice that it removed a highly negative feeling. First time I had a cigarette I was 15 and couldn't stop crying. The crying stopped almost instantly and I felt clear headed.
If you however were doing it just to see what it's like, and didn't have some negative feeling attacking you at the moment, and on top of that found it so unpleasant that you had to force yourself to do it, then you weren't given any reason to ever do it again.
Other people who get addicted whose story doesn't go that way usually tend to people who just do it for fun enough times that their bodies consistently contain enough of it that they become physically addicted without first being psychologically addicted in the beginning. Or it goes that they found out it could remove a negative feeling, but it wasn't so negative of a feeling it was almost instantly addicting, but still they do it enough times that it becomes very much so a habit. I'm talking the difference between having your first cigarette when you're actively thinking about killing yourself or something vs. when your boss just bitched at you and your coworker gave you a cigarette and then the two of you take smoke breaks together.

All this being said; don’t any of you motherfuckers start vaping or smoking.

I would like to add, like any addiction, it's deeply rooted in the "default mode network" part of the human brain. The addiction essentially becomes a part of your personality and is hard to rewire in the brain. That's why newer studies with ibogaine, LSD and many other similar psychoactive substances can change addiction, by essentially rewiring the brain (neuroplasticity).

Another thing is, the older form of vape juices with nicotine contained nicotine in the base form of nicotine, which didn't really absorb well compared to smoking a cigarette and had a hard throat hit. However, newer types of e-liquids, uses nicotine salts, which has a similar ease of uptake compared to a cigarette, this is what the Juul uses and why it is so small compared to traditional vapes.

I am an absolute dumbass and a douchebag I missed the part where OP said for three months.

Okay that is weird then. How many times a day did you do it?

I hit it easily 300+ times a day, but when I wanted to quit, I just got bored of it, and stopped.

I smoked for about that long and could easily quit. It depends on under the circumstances you take it, and how long you've been doin it. Addiction usually takes some time to develop under the right conditions.

My dad told me a story of how he found a pack of cigarettes as a kid and tried one, but he totally hated it and it tasted disgusting. Idk if it was true or not or if it was just meant to get me not to smoke or something idk I wasn't planning on smoking and I don't plan on it

Smoking is quite disgusting, it takes a few smokes to get past that and get used to it when the crave for the nicotine rush starts becoming a thing.

OP also talked about a surprisingly heavy addiction to caffeine. I'm not any form of Bio expert, so SbF5 can correct me, but nicotine and caffeine are both stimulants. If your body is extremely adjusted to massive amounts of one, could it basically negate the effects of the other considering it would be a drop in the bucket?

Like, if you're inhaling massive amounts of heroin each day, I doubt a single puff from a joint would affect you that much. Obviously different magnitudes to what we're talking about here, but just as an abstract example of what I'm talking about

They act on different neuroreceptors and hormones, though, which is why I'm not super sure that could be the reason.

Wait a minute, 3 months? That’s ridiculous. No wonder I was confused. Were you doing it every day also what % was it?

Aspen said:
I hit it easily 300+ times a day, but when I wanted to quit, I just got bored of it, and stopped.
Okay then I call bullshit. If it was really that difficult for you you wouldn’t have been doing it that many times and if it was that much then you must have had withdrawal symptoms. 300 hits is a little over one Juul pod and that’s the about same amount of nicotine in a pack of cigarettes. You don’t have that much nicotine every day for three months and not have at least moderate withdrawal symptoms when you stop.

Aspen said:

What % nicotine was the juice? And what brand was the vape

It was Njoy. And each pod has easily 3 days of 300+ hits before it ran out, and I didn't do it every day, cause my family was active.

How many a day on average would you guess?

Like a pod every 3 days. But I still didn't do it EVERY day, cause my parents would've found out, they checked up on my room often. They found it one time, but I just bought another one.

I'm still very confused. You're 15, correct?

Well, you have to be at least 18, or in some places 21, to even buy vaping products. This means that either you're lying about your age on this site, or you've illegally bought 2 vapes and pods.

there are ways to illegally get vapes. Trust me.

it is a real problem at my school

Well, true, I guess. The law is very lenient on that, I guess.

Also, congrats on 2222 posts.

...I literally can walk near most gas stations in my state and talk to some dude smoking a cig in front, pay him extra, hell go inside and buy me whatever. Yes, its illegal, but I've seen people vape in front of police officers, who don't even care because they have more important fish to fry.

Yea as I recall buying nicotine as a minor was very very easy. There are lots of gas stations that don’t give a shit.

Yea as I recall buying nicotine as a minor was very very easy. There are lots of gas stations that don’t give a shit.

Frankly it says a lot about society

My dad told me a story of how he found a pack of cigarettes as a kid and tried one, but he totally hated it and it tasted disgusting. Idk if it was true or not or if it was just meant to get me not to smoke or something idk I wasn't planning on smoking and I don't plan on it

do we have the same dad

Uh I hope not

It's most likely a parenting tactic.

Woah really?

I mean yeah, saying oh my, these cigarettes sure do taste bad in front of their children, implies that the child shouldn't smoke. Or was that sarcasm?

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Nicotine isnt addicting for me?