ForumTouchy Subjects ► Creditability of UFOs
I don't know if any of you have been following the recent flow of information about UFOs (or UAP unidentified ariel phenomena), but in short, the US government has been slowly releasing information confirming the legitimacy of UFO sightings. US intelligence agencies are supposed to make a report to congress about UAPs in June. 60 Minutes did a pretty good feature that covers it. Obama admitted that no one seems to know what they are.

From 60 Minutes:
Imagine a technology that can do 6-to-700 g-forces, that can fly at 13,000 miles an hour, that can evade radar and that can fly through air and water and possibly space. And oh, by the way, has no obvious signs of propulsion, no wings, no control surfaces and yet still can defy the natural effects of Earth's gravity. That's precisely what we're seeing.

I'm posting this in TS, because I've noticed that people get really weird when you talk about UFOs. Normally open-minded and curious people just shut it down entirely. The constant refrain of "unidentified doesn't mean it's aliens" seems to dominate every discussion on the topic. Personally, I think it's extremely unlikely these are extraterrestrial spacecraft. I want to get that out of the way and be clear that I'm not making any claims about aliens, obviously, we'd need far more evidence to jump to that kind of conclusion.

I do, however, think it's fascinating. If these are some kind of aircraft, they're potentially using technology that's centuries beyond the most advanced military tech. If they aren't aircraft then what the hell are they? Why aren't people more interested in this? Why is everyone so ready to dismiss it just because it's not aliens? Why do I get weird looks from people for expressing an interest in this extremely strange and unexplained phenomena? I'm hardly conducting a lifelong crusade out of a basement office at the FBI over this, but I am really goddamn curious about it.

Main points I want to make:
1) Of course aliens are real
2) Wether or not it’s aliens or whatever doesn’t make weird stuff in the sky less interesting
2) About a month ago at 2 in the morning I was on a rural highway between my town and my state’s capital driving back from a friend’s house and I saw something very odd in the sky that almost appeared to following my car. No it wasn’t a helicopter or a plane or a cell or radio tower. No military bases out that way, no hospitals, no cell towers, anything. It was the absolute middle of nowhere. Completely clear moonlit night, no clouds at all. No psychoactive substances consumed that night or the week prior.

Conspiracy theorists gonna theorize, and Cold War military secrecy and suspicion provided the perfect environment. So now the very idea of "aliens" is tainted and hard to take seriously.

Why does everyone need to make it about aliens? There's weird stuff in the sky. No one seems to know what it is. Nothing about that necessitates taking aliens into account. Isn't the simple fact that it's unidentified enough to take it seriously? The sun was a mysterious hot circle of light in the sky until we identified it.

Nah, sorry. Yes, I agree. There’s really weird stuff in the sky that the US government is acknowledging as having no explanation for. That is in and of itself interesting as fuck.

When I was waiting tables at the luxury resort we had the Mark Zuckerberg group come in. I never saw the man himself, the hospitality big shots and veterans saw to him, but some of the higher up in that corporate chain were around.

When I was setting things up in one room I eavesdropped on a conversation they were having. Two of them were talking and one of them was convinced based on the information they were collecting (information they gather in totally legit ways because facebook is not sketchy) that aliens were real and were involved in some behind the scenes power dynamics on the global stage.

Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger, just saying what I overheard.

It's not just the US, in Wales there was the Berwyn Mountain sighting, known as the Welsh Roswell, which was officially explained as being a meteor happening at the same time as an earthquake. There's also the Dyfed Triangle which saw several sightings.

I agree UFO =/= aliens. I think it's pretty self-absorbed of us to think we're that interesting to aliens. If it is aliens, well it suggests life must be quite rare in the universe for them to visit us so much. I think they're natural phenomena. Misidentified planets, refracted lights, meteors, comets. I'm sure someone really into it could show me a video of one moving in a seemingly deliberate way, but what can I say. I don't know. If it is aliens, what on Earth are they doing. If they're taking us over, to what end, and how long are they going to take because surely they've been at it for at least 70 years.

I'm interested to see what will be released. Studying physics I have a pretty prosaic and traditional view that most UFO's are some sort of natural phenomenon or some ultra-top-secret-but-very-terrestrial military operation. I think it's almost impossible that aliens don't exist, but them coming to Earth seems almost equally impossible.

It's slightly sad but the types of physics they would need to violate to communicate and travel to Earth just don't seem violable. Sending messages across thousands of lightyears takes, well, thousands of years, and sending material takes even longer. It's possible that some asteroids with very non-traditional trajectories were hurled at Earth as a probe, but it would be an extremely patient species that was able to manage that.

Edit: As much as humans don't know everything about the Universe, the things we're almost certain of are the speed of communication and travel.

I mean, who knows, maybe they're sending drones to record us to get footage for a documentary about alien life. I feel that if we stumbled upon an intelligent alien species we'd probably want to study them, right?

On a less silly note, if the claims about the capabilities of these things are true, I don't see how it could be some terrestrial military technology, it seems far too advanced for that. It could all be wrong or made up, but pilots, people who are trained to understand flight and be observant, having been reporting similar things for a while now.

Yea I'd be less surprised about drones, the trouble is how long the travel time of those drones would be. This would have to be a species willing to gamble on life being present and willing to wait hundreds of years to confirm it.

As for flight patterns, if you could solve the complexities of that You would win a million dollars. Not ruling it out, but the type of physics that governs flight patterns and multibody orbitals is... less understood than people think.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Creditability of UFOs