ForumTouchy Subjects ► Swear Words are Silly. Why Keep Them?
name one reason why there should be a list of words you cannot say on tv. the only reason people are offended by them in the first place is because they were told that they are offensive.

Swearing activates a different part of the brain than regular speech. By presenting some words as taboo to say, you gain a way of expressing yourself in situations that seem too extreme for regular words.

Yeah. When you make a word taboo, it becomes more effective. Think of it like this. If someone who is almost always calm and collected gets angry, it's a lot more scary than when it's someone who gets angry all the time. If you've ever known someone who swears a lot, you know that it is a lot less effective when they swear compared to someone who rarely swears.

but they only exist because people have the notion that they exist. that's the silly part to me.

if no one told you the word "fuck" was a word you shouldn't say, then what would it matter if people said it?

name one reason why there should be a list of words you cannot say on tv. the only reason people are offended by them in the first place is because they were told that they are offensive.
Because if I didn’t have the word “fuck you” then I’d have to give a lengthy sentence or two equating to “fuck you” when it’s so much easier to say “fuck you”. That being said, fuck all you motherfuckers and fuck your mommas and your daddies too.

Plus also it’s fun that there are words that make people very uncomfortable. Besides “You fucking cunts. Suck my cock,” doesn’t sound have the same effect as “You vaginas. Lick my penis.”

if no words were off limits, i'd suppose people would still find a way to express their distaste with other people. but by that point it'd probably be through tone, rather than saying things that are taboo. i'm saying barring certain words from being said doesn't really have a meaningful purpose.

But with swear words you can do it through tone and through connotation. Fucking biiiiiiiiiitch.

Edit: basically what I’m saying is it’s fun.

well, do you think swear words are an inevitability of language?

Now I don’t know enough about languages to be able to make a call on that. I’m sure there’s at least someone here who knows more about that than I do. If I’m not mistaken, however, then I can say that most languages do have words that are considered offensive.

Some languages don't have swear words necessarily, at least to direct translation of ours, but afaik every one has some sort of equivalent. (In Hebrew, everyone is very rude all of the time so you have to get creative with your insults. In Japanese, just saying 'you' aggressively is insulting). There is always going to be a stratification of polite and rude language, and people are always going to be upset when you're extremely rude.

but they only exist because people have the notion that they exist. that's the silly part to me.

if no one told you the word "fuck" was a word you shouldn't say, then what would it matter if people said it?

The reason they are off limits is to give them that extra punch. To make them more effective. Yeah, you can get across points without using them, but if you are using them properly and not just in every sentence you say, then when you say a curse word it'll put more stress and emphasis on what you are saying. When you make words taboo, now you have a word that will grab people's attention more effectively.

I agree with some of your points. Swears are kinda funny and it's even funnier when you find something that's not a swear that looks like a swear

I'd say every language has the concept of vulgar words you wouldn't say in front of your grandmother. Welsh has an inordinate number of different words for animal shit. I guess it's like the Inuit with snow.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Swear Words are Silly. Why Keep Them?