ForumTouchy Subjects ► How to Cope With Existential Dread
Other than "don't think about it" because it invariably pops back into my train of thoughts every now and then. Has anyone ever accepted their mortality and place in the universe and become at peace with the understanding that you'll one day cease to exist? I dunno I think it's terrifying because

Within my time in the last two years of reading, I found myself wrapping my whole lifestyle around Stoicism. I think honestly it saved my life. Accepting that the universe is inherently chaotic and has no moral compass suggests Murphy's law is just inevitable. Stoicism, in my opinion, really helps dial down on how to accept things for the way they are. Most importantly, to live in the moment. Most if not all people experience the present, but their mind is never truly there to begin with. Instead, their minds are moments behind trying to process everything around them living in the past. Example, I was in a car accident yesterday. Instead of thinking about how lucky I am and how bad of a situation it was or could of been, I am spending my time relaxing and being somewhere I enjoy. Surrounding myself with something that grounds me. No point in worrying about the car crash. I didn't die, nor did I go to the hospital. I wrote my police statement and everything is okay. All is right in the world because I can only do things within my control. So realizing this I can wake up and know that it is going to be a good day no matter what because I know as long as my eyes open up, there is a sunrise through my window. :)

I'll give it a try. Thanks for your response.

You are welcome! I could also recommend if you wanted some reading material, "Meditations" by Marcus Aurelius is an amazing one. Keep in mind, Marcus was an emperor by age 15 (or 16... or somewhere there) and he had so much stress in his life. He was known as one of the good Emperors of Rome. I think what he wrote about is very relatable to youth and young adults even today... Especially today. lol

Poor Marcus

Within my time in the last two years of reading, I found myself wrapping my whole lifestyle around Stoicism. I think honestly it saved my life. Accepting that the universe is inherently chaotic and has no moral compass suggests Murphy's law is just inevitable. Stoicism, in my opinion, really helps dial down on how to accept things for the way they are. Most importantly, to live in the moment. Most if not all people experience the present, but their mind is never truly there to begin with. Instead, their minds are moments behind trying to process everything around them living in the past. Example, I was in a car accident yesterday. Instead of thinking about how lucky I am and how bad of a situation it was or could of been, I am spending my time relaxing and being somewhere I enjoy. Surrounding myself with something that grounds me. No point in worrying about the car crash. I didn't die, nor did I go to the hospital. I wrote my police statement and everything is okay. All is right in the world because I can only do things within my control. So realizing this I can wake up and know that it is going to be a good day no matter what because I know as long as my eyes open up, there is a sunrise through my window. :)

I see this type of content often on the internet when it comes to Stoicism, and I personally find that this reads more like a religion, trying to sell itself in a very simple, diluted, misleading way. Also false. Stoicism is hardly about “forget the past, it’s old news”. If anything, there’s tremendous focus on the past. If this is what you took from your study on it, I would recommend studying further, or going back and reading again.

Also, Meditations is an exceptionally embarrassing and boring book. I would recommend Epictetus or so instead.

Considering I’m giving advice to someone who is having troubles dealing with existential dread, and this response to it is rather abrasive, I choose to keep my stance. I have read Epictetus as well. Epictetus wrote about things that consisted of enjoying pleasures and those around you instead of filling them with possessions. He also wrote about how to cope with death and the loss of things considered valuable. The art of living talks a lot about the cycle of “things returning from which they came”. I respect your opinion on the matter, however I may remind you that this material helped me through some of my darkest times. Yes, it may be simplified immensely. This does not warrant such brash comments.

The topic of how it came off religious is also pointless. I’m not starting a church, nor am I invoking prayers or ritual or any constrictive lifestyle based on words from an invisible sky daddy. They are merely principles on how to think about life. In fact, I am not even religious myself so I don’t quite understand.

When concerning existential dread, stoicism does remind us to bring ourselves to the present. Things outside of our control cannot be handled and must be regarded as something that just is. A volcano erupting just is. People being mad or rude just is.

There are many aspects to philosophies that we could talk about in great details and more formally. If you would like to educate me privately, I am open to that. Maybe there are things I have missed. But I choose to take a passive stance on combating you on which philosophical material is better here. I will discuss philosophy, not put it down or attack it. I love all of them personally, and they have helped me immensely regardless.

one thing that's kind of helped lately is the guy who made the fuckin

simpsons

FUCK

uhhh

Don Hertzfeldt's world of tomorrow films that explore the alternative to dying

and upon learning about those films i think it has become easier for me to accept my mortality

at least when comparing it to the alternative. so yeah i don't feel as bad about it anymore. i've also come to accept my fear of what was it that one guy in the qna said?
madness? mental decline? he said he had somewhat overcome that fear and so have i, to an extent

after puzzling over it for the past few weeks

Forum > Touchy Subjects > How to Cope With Existential Dread