ForumTouchy Subjects ► Europe Is Not a Continent
This hill. This one I'm ready to die on. Europe does not deserve to be a continent separate from Asia.

This will likely end very badly.

I'd rather just watch.

*Grabs popcorn*

um actually
nobody inhabits asia its all siberia and gulags over there

eastern russias where all the people are

Why don't you throw Africa in as well?

also europes where all the fighting for domination happened

you dont see that as much in any other continent throughout history

Why don't you throw Africa in as well?
Africa has its own plate though.

Yeah. The Mongols don't exist.

mongolia is one country europe is dozens

the power balance as it evolved was super interesting and merits a continent

It's either AfroEurasia and one America or two Americas and three separate old world continents.

Continents are a semi-historic/geographic identifier, they don't have to make sense.

i think it should be a continent because it is ethnically diverse from other ones

at the very least enough so that it makes sense to be a unique continent

But then Africa should be split at least once at the Sahara, and India as well.

if thats what it takes for europe to be a continent then so be it

i hope i dont sound like a dictator rn

The continents should be defined by the risk board. Fuck Antarctica.

The cultural argument bugs me so much tho. So Ukraine and Kazakhstan are different enough to be on separate continents, but Japan and India aren't?

I think you could justify drawing a line at the Suez and Panama canals, at least better than drawing one through the Ural mountains but not through the Rockies or the Himalayas.

India is referred to as a subcontinent. I would be more annoyed about Semitic North Africa and decidedly not Semitic southern Africa.

i think it should be a continent because it is ethnically diverse from other ones

at the very least enough so that it makes sense to be a unique continent
You're saying Europe is ethnically diverse but Asia isn't? Asia is pretty diverse, It's everything from Japan through to Turkey. They're both diverse. Asia is probably more diverse in terms of out-and-out "race".

Asia's seen its share of fighting. Look at what the Arabs got up to. The Persians. The Mongols. The Huns. The Turks. The Chinese. The Japanese. The Mughals.

There are so many cultures and groups of people that if each ethnicity was a continent, then continents would be smaller than states.

Is Australia the biggest island or the smallest continent?

Yes
Anything bigger is a continent
Anything smaller is an island

mongolia is one country europe is dozens

the power balance as it evolved was super interesting and merits a continent

The Mongolian Empire is the largest empire in history in terms of continuity. You said Europe was where all the fighting for domination happened. The existence of the Mongolian Empire makes this categorically untrue.

Can my house be a continent

Technically speaking about tectonic plates dictating continental boundaries… isn’t pretty much all of Europe and Asia considered Eurasia?

I'm not sure what you'd like us to say here. By any pedantic metric Europe shouldn't be its own continent unless we add many many more.

Continent is an incredibly old idea, it goes back to Greece, where "Asia" meant Anatolia and Persia. We happen to speak English -- the idea of "continental Europe" as an entity is quite important to a small island frequently at war with "those guys over there."

Different continent systems are taught in different areas of the world:in Russia and most Asian countries they teach the six continent model (Eurasia, divided America) because the distinction between Europe and Asia isn't historically important. In the Romance-speaking world the six continent (Americas combined, Europe and Asia separate) model is taught because the division between Asia and Europe is historically important, but the colonial distinction between North and South America isn't important.

Continent isn't meant to be consistent or rigorous, most geographic terms in common use aren't. "The West" includes New Zealand and Australia, which are further east than China.

To settle if Europe is a continent or not, I have a solution: Nuke the boundary between Europe and Asia so hard that Europe becomes separated, therefore becoming a continent.

Hello Reagan.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Europe Is Not a Continent