ForumTouchy Subjects ► Equatorial areas and shittiness
Why do things tend to get shittier the father away you get from the poles?

disease spreads more easily in tropical areas

more mosquitos and jungles have more diverse animal and plant life

i asked mom about it and she said it's because places like subsaharan africa have yet to have a renaissance. in european history, that was the point where things started to get better.

Colonialism, final answer.

does colonialism really the answer to every case, though? latin america, maybe. pacific islands, probably. africa, yeah definitely.

...sorry

Correct me if I'm wrong, but does that not capture most, if not all, of the countries near the equator?

If you don't count Atlantis and Numenor then yes.

TL;DR

The correlation exists, some theories to explain it exist, but no one is sure.

Most likely: colder climates require much more planning and cooperation to survive beyond subsistence.

According to Guns, Germs and Steel: Europe just had the perfect combination of factors to become the dominant colonial power, and colonialism did the rest.

Though the historicity of that book is... Debated.

Grayseff said:
According to Guns, Germs and Steel: Europe just had the perfect combination of factors to become the dominant colonial power, and colonialism did the rest.

I remember watching that in AP Geography last year.

From the internet, I learned that it was the rise of the Muslim empires that blocked land access to the East. When Constantinople fell in 1453, the Ottomans had effectively taken control of the Silk Road in the west. So that led to them looking for new ways to get to the East.

For me the Middle Ages ended when Constantinople fell and the ideas from the city sparked the Renaissance and an interest to use the oceans to get to the East.

So I just gave a history lesson.

Lol. I learn 90% of what I know outside of school. And I learn the accurate stuff.

I don't think "colonialism" is enough of answer. Two reasons:

1 - Colonialism from who? Africa was colonised by Arabs before it was colonised by Europeans. So which colonialism is to blame. Europe was a victim of colonialism before it was a perpetrator.

2 - If these places were better before colonialism, then why weren't they able to resist. There must have been pre-existing differences in regions before colonialism, for colonialism to happen.

So culture?

For one, when the Spanish arrived in Tenochtitlan, Moctezuma welcomed them, believing them at first to be gods.

at least back then, a renaissance could happen

but our modern world thrives off exploitation of poor countries so as long as the rich countries are in power, the poor countries won't get any better

You just found the problem that humanity has! Now you only have to solve it…

Nvm.

Millpond said:
1 - Colonialism from who? Africa was colonised by Arabs before it was colonised by Europeans. So which colonialism is to blame. Europe was a victim of colonialism before it was a perpetrator.

2 - If these places were better before colonialism, then why weren't they able to resist. There must have been pre-existing differences in regions before colonialism, for colonialism to happen.

1. Did I say 'European colonialism'? I literally said a single word, so I'm curious about how you got that.

2. Being a good place to live and being militaristic enough to stave off invasion are very different.

Okay, to be clear, when I’m talking about shittiness, I’m talking about things like wars and corruption. Not necessarily calling things like low amounts of technology or tribalism or the cultures there themselves shitty.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Equatorial areas and shittiness