ForumTouchy Subjects ► furries
a lot of people call furries degenerates. i don't know whether or not to believe that, i just know that it's mean to call someone that. i don't know if it's warranted or not

on one hand, furries aren't hurting anyone so why do they get so much hate
on the other hand, bestiality is a very bad thing.

i wanted to be convinced one way or the other definitively so please tell me your thoughts

I just wish furries would stop telling me about their sex lives.

i specifically remember making this exact thread

Yea, but the last post was in 2019.

That means if we post there it will be locked

It’s just the same thing that happens any time you have people being very vocal about something weird* and unimportant about themselves on the internet.

*Yes, it’s weird any negative associations you (anyone reading) might with the word “weird” is on you, not me. I’ll out-weird a motherfucker any day.

Granted the only person I know who calls themselves furry that I really know personally is a degenerate but that’s for reasons that have little to do with being a furry.

It reminds me of kids who play horses and unicorns and stuff, but in people who are far too old to be doing it. Also as much as furries insist it isn't a sex thing, it always seems to devolve into a sex thing.

I dunno, maybe there are part time furries the way there are people who casually enjoy anime that are well adjusted, but my only exposure to it is people who are very degenerate. Much like people who are too weeby to function normally.

Yeah. I know what you mean. I mean there’s bound to be people like that, it only makes sense that they exist. I think it’s because we’ve spent a lot of time using the Internet. People can be very vocal about the weirdest, stupidest shit online and freely share their most fucked up ideas. What confuses and annoys me the most is when they insist that I respect and really know the fact that they’re a furry in situations where it’s irrelevant. I don’t want to think of a person and instantly have my mind go “That guy - I know his fetish.” Not that there’s anything wrong with sex or having a fetish, just I’d rather it be something like “That guy - he told me all about his grandpa/sister/partner once”.

I've definitely had one of those situations where you probably shouldn't know somebody's fetish, but they end up telling you anyway. You just can't look at them the same way again, lol it was a choir director no less. I would say don't share those things unless you've already been in the sheets with that person.

so what im getting is dont wear your paraphilia on your sleeve

You can if you want but don’t be surprised when people ostracize you for it. And yeah of course it’s wrong to ostracize people just for having a fetish, but as far as I know there’s no sort of oppression against furries or any kind of paraphiliac and tackling others treating people not nicely for being different is really really hard and mostly a losing battle. Also, I haven’t met anyone to whom their paraphilia seemed like a part of them important enough that I needed to know about it. It kind of just makes the most sense to not advertise things like that about yourself.

All of this is coming from the perspective of someone who grew up gay in the Deep South, so I might have a distorted take on things, plus “Don’t cause or invite trouble unless necessary” is something I try to live by.
ecr674 said:
I've definitely had one of those situations where you probably shouldn't know somebody's fetish, but they end up telling you anyway.
Here’s the thing about this part specifically: it’s just annoying. Giving people uninvited stimuli, especially ones that induce a lot of thoughts, is usually just kinda rude.

I see it like a consent thing. I did not consent to being involved in your sex life, so why am I hearing about your fetishes?

I get where you're coming from, but there's also people who would make that same argument about being openly gay or trans.

I don't think just being a furry is linked closely enough with sex that telling someone you're a furry is automatically telling them about your fetishes... but I see/interact with furries in non-sexual situations reasonably often, so my experience might be different.

I'm not sure how I feel about fursuiting in public as a sexual act, but I don't think it's as bad as, for example, walking around wearing a leash and collar in public, or any number of things that heterosexual couples do regularly while in public.

Of course, a lot of furries stick to the internet and huge parts of the internet absolutely hate furries (I think it's because they're jealous), which I think naturally causes the furries to push back and be as public with their identities/behaviors as possible, as a form of alternate rebellion.

Fwip said:
I get where you're coming from, but there's also people who would make that same argument about being openly gay or trans.

A sexual orientation isn't a fetish. Those people are just assholes.

I did not consent to being involved in your sex life, so why am I hearing about your fetishes?

Fwip said:

I think people could make the same argument about being straight. If I see a man and a woman loading five kids who look just like them into a minivan I can make some pretty reasonable assumptions about what kind of sex they're having, but I don't complain.

Fwip said:
Yeah, which I kinda get too. I usually don’t tell people I’m gay because it’s not what I want them to think about when they see/think about me and I know for most people I could interact with that it is what they’re gonna think about. Conservativism may have something to do with it, but most people I see and talk to seem like people who wouldn’t want to know.

It’s just… man, I just don’t wanna talk about your fetish. I don’t care if you’re a furry and I’m not gonna treat you badly for it. I may tease you here and there if you’re a friend, but that’s it. But it’s just not something I wanna talk about and I’d like people to respect that. It’s nothing against furries or people with fetishes. It’s something against people deliberately engaging me in conversation I don’t want to take part in about things that aren’t important to matter more than the fact that I don’t wanna take part in it.

I don't think identifying as a fox is quiiiite the same as being gay or trans. One is for sure not a fundamental identity since someone who has never seen a fox couldn't possibly identify as one.

Why is it controversial to say it's weird to dress like an animal in public? It's weird to wear a cape or schoolgirl outfit in public, it's weird for an adult to dress like a cowboy on a normal day. It's not oppression to find unusual hobbies strange or want to shy away from them, and I don't understand why we play this game of identity as if dressing like superman or identifying as a beagle is the same as being trans or gay?

Grayseff said:
I don't think identifying as a fox is quiiiite the same as being gay or trans. One is for sure not a fundamental identity since someone who has never seen a fox couldn't possibly identify as one.
Thankfully people who say they actually identify as a non-human seem few and far between.

And that’s what I was getting at when I said “any negative associations with the word ‘weird’ are on you, not me.” I’m a very weird person. I have a lot of strange habits and behaviors. I don’t find anything wrong with weirdness, but I do find something wrong with subjecting people to things they want to be subjected to. I also definitely find something wrong with comparing “furries are weird” to things like me sometimes being actually afraid of people in the south I’m not close to somehow finding out I’m gay. Thankfully people who consider “furry is weird” oppression also seem few and far between. If I had to guess, it’s mostly an idea from people who’ve built a house online for their minds to stay at most days of the year.

GUYS THIS IS PERFECT TIMING I JUST HAD A HUGE ARGUMENT OVER THIS I NEED YOU TO ANSWER THIS QUESTION PLEASE

https://twocansandstring.com/question/view/2164907

Grayseff said:
Why is it controversial to say it's weird to dress like an animal in public? It's weird to wear a cape or schoolgirl outfit in public, it's weird for an adult to dress like a cowboy on a normal day. It's not oppression to find unusual hobbies strange or want to shy away from them, and I don't understand why we play this game of identity as if dressing like superman or identifying as a beagle is the same as being trans or gay?
I think dressing up like an animal to walk around in public is weird as fuck, and I live with someone who does it. I don't think they're degenerates, and I think it's wrong (and harmful) to label them in such a way.

I also definitely find something wrong with comparing “furries are weird” to things like me sometimes being actually afraid of people in the south I’m not close to somehow finding out I’m gay. Thankfully people who consider “furry is weird” oppression also seem few and far between. If I had to guess, it’s mostly an idea from people who’ve built a house online for their minds to stay at most days of the year.
I don't think furries are really oppressed in any meaningful way, and I also don't think it's unreasonable for people to care about public perception of something they're passionate about.

I'd also like to point out that the furry community, compared to the general population, contains a huge percentage of lgbt individuals, more than 50% in even the most conservative surveys. This could have something to do with why people hate furries so much in the first place.

Peridot said:

I think people could make the same argument about being straight. If I see a man and a woman loading five kids who look just like them into a minivan I can make some pretty reasonable assumptions about what kind of sex they're having, but I don't complain.

I don't get this point. What sort of habits are supposed to come to mind? I'm drawing a blank here.
When I see a couple like that I just think how little sleep they must be getting.

Peridot said:
I don't think furries are really oppressed in any meaningful way, and I also don't think it's unreasonable for people to care about public perception of something they're passionate about.
I also don’t find it unreasonable. At the same time I don’t find it unreasonable for me to not want to hear about it and do find it unreasonable for someone to insist I hear about it after I’ve said that I don’t want to.

I find it a little odd and don't understand the appeal from a sexual point of view, but I don't really give a shit about it at the end of the day. If it makes people happy then they should do it. There's nothing amoral about it.

Ah sorry, I didn't mean to imply that being gay/trans was the same thing as being a furry - rather just to dissect the line of where it becomes okay to indirectly let people know what kind of sex you probably have.