ForumTouchy Subjects ► The oldest question in the book
Which came first: the chicken or the egg? Honest opinions please. Provide evidence if possible.

egg obviously

animals in the primordial soup were laying eggs long before birds came about

animals in the primordial soup were laying eggs long before birds came about

I am referring to chicken eggs specifically which means non-chicken eggs do not count.

Evolution is a mess.

Which came first: the chicken or the egg? Honest opinions please. Provide evidence if possible.

Reword that a bit, and there's an essay prompt.

I'm just gonna go and say that the chicken came first. It just seems cool that a chicken would just poof into reality. An egg poofing into reality is a little less exciting.

This question comes down to the definition of species, in particular the boundary between one species and one of its descendant species. And there is no objective answer to that. It's a variation of the sorites paradox.

so imagine

a chicken similar to a chicken but just different enough from a chicken to not be a chicken teetering on the edge of being a chicken

mutates one way or another into becoming just barely on the edge of what is considered to be a chicken

idk where im going with this

cant be bothered to explain my thoughts on this question, heres a video that pretty much sums it up
totally didnt get this opinion after watching the video when it came out

I'm fairly certain chickens give live birth like sharks.

oh sorry my bad, i was getting them mixed up with platypodes

chickens actually sprout out of other chickens in millions of chicken spores, didn't you know?

they do every 50 years, when the bamboo leaves bloom

what lol

We define eggs by what comes out of them. If there was a first chicken, it must have hatched from an egg, which would be the first chicken egg, therefore egg before chicken.

hooray

Coldfrost said:
We define eggs by what comes out of them.
Do we though? How can I know that the eggs in my fridge right now are chicken eggs if they aren't fertilized and no animal will ever hatch from them? Are they not chicken eggs by virtue of being laid by a chicken?

Good point. And also, why can't the first egg be identified as simply the preceding species' egg? Proto-chicken lays an egg. That is a proto-chicken egg. Why would a modern chicken popping out of the egg change the egg's identity?

Even before the chicken pops out, the egg contains it.

Okay, but if we are talking about evolution, we need to define what an egg is in this circumstance.

EX: Is it just eggs in general, or the eggs that hatch chickens

Okay, but if we are talking about evolution, we need to define what an egg is in this circumstance.

EX: Is it just eggs in general, or the eggs that hatch chickens

I am referring to chicken eggs specifically which means non-chicken eggs do not count.

There's your answer, earlier in this thread.

So then through evolution, egg came first

Some kind of proto-chicken laid an egg, we got a new variety at some point from that egg. The egg was around before the new mutation developed, so I think it certainly came first.

So the question is, is the egg responsible for making the chicken, or is that left to the DNA of the parents?

The DNA, as the egg is what holds the chicken while it develops, it may change shape, but it still holds a chicken, cause thats what the DNA gave

chickens actually sprout out of other chickens in millions of chicken spores, didn't you know?

Really? I thought they underwent mitosis.

So the question is, is the egg responsible for making the chicken, or is that left to the DNA of the parents?

I thought mutations were caused when animals reproduce, so it's not the DNA of the parents.

I'm telling y'all. Sharks.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > The oldest question in the book