ForumTouchy Subjects ► They’re fucking with time!
Why are they fucking with time? This isn’t fair. I like darkness. I like having more experiecable hours of night time. Why would you want to experience less night time?

US Government FUCKS WITH TIME

I like day time. I prefer more of it. But I really don't give a shit as long as we just stop changing it around. (I hope Canada will follow suit because it would be very irritating to be out of sync with our neighbour for half the fucking year.)

I am in agreement with Antagonist, especially as a Canadian myself.

I don't have a problem with changing the clock. These days you don't even have to change them really, they're online and they change themselves. It sounds like a solution to a problem that's not really a problem.

From the article, the main reason they're doing it is money. They're hoping people will buy more stuff and work more. I don't quite understand because 8 hours is still 8 hours no matter how you shift the 8 hours around.

Older people have health problems. But most people are fine with this. It’s not like we always are actually getting the right sleep at the right time.

It is a problem. It kills people.

DST not being used anymore? Yeah I sympathize with antimony

But night time! They want an hour less of experiencable night time every day. Night time is special but fleeting. The loss of sunlight is sense depriving as we recede from the visible world around around us and the mind’s grip on reality is ever slightly loosened. It’s a time of meditative reflection that we wouldn’t otherwise afford to be able to indulge in during the day or when we wake up and have responsibilities to attend to. Sure it might still be dark when you wake up, but that is the time of day that your mind seizes reality from the blankness of sleep as your brain is bombarded with sensory input. That is nowhere near the same.

Wait, we’re losing even more sleep now? I agree with antimony.

Neither makes you lose sleep. Antimony is just being whiny because he can't set his alarm clock to a different hour or he implodes.

Oh this discussion isn’t what I thought. Time to leave.

Okay fuck you lol, you made me laugh. While it is true that I have one hell of a time waking up, I maintain that darkness, specifically during evening and night, is important. The US already tried this in the 1970s. People were thinking the same as y’all “oh yeah this’ll be great, we’ll get more time for sunlight” and they started really disliking it as the experiment went on.

So wake up an hour later.

Some people have schedules they can’t control.

Yeah that's fair.

"I like to experience like night time" is a bad argument. A better argument is the more negative impact that DST has on peoples' health in general, compared to EST. But switching constantly is trash that kills people. Pick something and stick with it.

I’m getting there, wait until it’s not nighttime so I can think better. For now I’m going to enjoy and romanticize nighttime and darkness.

Daytime better.

Either is fine. Unnatural time zones bad.

This reminds me of how China should really not force their Western regions to follow Beijing Time.

"Senator Marco Rubio, one of the bill's sponsors, said supporters agreed the change would not take place until November 2023 after input from airlines and broadcasters."

What about input from citizens? Put it to a referendum.

Hard agree with everything Antagonist has said.

Can't wait to no longer have a crappy few days of sleep every year for no reason.

Making Daylight Savings time permanent is not the only solution to changing the clocks twice a year. The other solutions are abolishing Daylight Savings, or meeting in the middle.

Governments govern. They don't need to do referendums for everything. Direct democracy is a waste of time.

I grew up in a country that doesn't observe daylight saving time. Hearing about DST for the first time, during my first year in Sweden, confused me to no end, but the actual changing of the clock didn't bother me a lot in my teens. Now, I just want to go back to the good old days of not switching the clock around for a reason that's been outdated for years. There are so many good reasons NOT to switch the clock around and really no good reason to keep doing it. Government, pls stop. Choose one time and just stick with it.

Actually, I recently caught myself reflecting on how great my sleep schedule has been for the past couple of weeks and then I got sad, because the time switch is next weekend. Finally my sleep schedule feels good and then daylight savings is right around the corner to fuck it all up again.
Why are they fucking with time? This isn’t fair. I like darkness. I like having more experiecable hours of night time. Why would you want to experience less night time?
Move to Svalbard for the duration of the winter? Experience true darkness.
While it is true that I have one hell of a time waking up, I maintain that darkness, specifically during evening and night, is important.
On the other hand, I quite like the "midnight sun" I grew up with. (That's in quotation marks because it wasn't really sun, but has been referred to as such.) Very important for summer nights. The weird lighting feels quite special and I miss that.

I'm in bed by 6am anyway, so this change makes me feel less bad since I won't be seeing the sun rising while I try and sleep. Kinda based

Forum > Touchy Subjects > They’re fucking with time!