ForumTouchy Subjects ► Are we our thoughts?
If we have beliefs we don't approve of, or thoughts we don't agree with, are we the thoughts, or the thoughts about those thoughts? If the latter, why are some of the thoughts in our heads us but not others? Or are we not our thoughts at all, and instead something else?

I think so. I think our thoughts reflect on who we are, and we dont think the same way as others. we have different opinions and ways we see the world, so I guess yeah

Anty, can you not give me a reality check?

What?

IDK, but my mind did not need this today

I think so. I think our thoughts reflect on who we are, and we dont think the same way as others. we have different opinions and ways we see the world, so I guess yeah

Okay, but what if we have contradictory thoughts? Eg: What if we have prejudices that we don't think we should have? What if we have intrusive thoughts? Etc.

We are not our thoughts. We are our actions.

Okay, but what if we have contradictory thoughts? Eg: What if we have prejudices that we don't think we should have? What if we have intrusive thoughts? Etc.

even if we have those thoughts they're ourselves that think them, and probably believe to some extent. like, you could think something and know it's wrong, but then again it's still your thoughts and that could change how we behave. idk, it's just how I see it

We are not our thoughts. We are our actions.

our thoughts influence our actions. I could decide to have a specific career, but if I started thinking differently about it, I could change if I'd want to do it or not

"even if we have those thoughts they're ourselves that think them, and probably believe to some extent. like, you could think something and know it's wrong, but then again it's still your thoughts and that could change how we behave. idk, it's just how I see it"

if that's the case, mind could never in equal to matter and we'd never be able to change our minds about things we know are wrong

"our thoughts influence our actions. I could decide to have a specific career, but if I started thinking differently about it, I could change if I'd want to do it or not"

yeah but it's the action itself that matters

you could think about not being a murderer and then murder someone and then you'd still be a murderer

we are our actions because this.

i used to be transphobic. i spent some time around people who convinced me i was wrong. i no longer am transphobic, but i am not trans so i could never understand what it's like to be trans. however, i can act by not saying transphobic things. i'm not sure if this makes sense or not.

What if we are our memories? Our experiences with the world help us become who we are. We are nothing without memory, either. If you lost all previous memory up to this moment, you would not be who you are, ja?

Retrograde amnesiacs, though.

Yeah. They aren't who they were before. They are someone entirely new.

If we have beliefs we don't approve of, or thoughts we don't agree with, are we the thoughts, or the thoughts about those thoughts? If the latter, why are some of the thoughts in our heads us but not others? Or are we not our thoughts at all, and instead something else?
Irrelevant questions however props for wondering these things while completely sober.

We're not our thoughts, we're the generators of thought. Things go in, thoughts ripple out, we're the black box generating and shaping the ripples. A platform or framework that thoughts can cling onto.

You are your brain?

Fuck it, I’ll get into it. I thought I was done wondering these things for myself, and I basically am, but ^ you’ve dragged back into it. Alright I’m in it for this discussion, but it’s been a while since I’ve tripped so I’m not sure how well I’ll do.

We shouldn't be defined by the thoughts we have. We can choose to act against our own thoughts. That's what matters.

we can, but that does technically make us who we are, different thoughts, different person. I'd say it's the way you go about things that makes you different

Irrelevant questions however props for wondering these things while completely sober.

I was just sitting at my desk when my brain said "Hey you should stab yourself in the eye with one of those pointy paperweights."

I wonder if I have ocd. My therapist said I did. What does ocd even mean? I have a friend who has ocd and that doesn't seem like me.

Maybe.

Wait, also, why aren't they relevant?

Because, whatever we are, we're just gonna do whatever we do regardless of the answers to these questions. The kundalini has awakened! Inflame the base of the spine! The brain has appeared! The mind and brain in tandem! Be here now! Let it flow like a membrane from my hand into the membranes of energy of those around me! It's flowing... ebbing... dripping into all around me. Let it run down your legs and guide your feet from one step to the next engulfing the ground beneath you and the walls of gaseous matter surrounding the body.

BE HERE NOW

"There is writing happening. Maybe that's hard for you to understand. I am here but "I" am not here. I am writing but "I" am not writing. Inside of me in the heart cave is a mantra going on that reminds me who I really am over and over again. In this inner place I am and even as I write, where this mantra is going on I'm just watching with great awe and wonder."

But nah, really, my point is that whatever "we" "are", our day to day lives and beliefs won't change.

However, I would like to caution against using any conjugation of "to be" in discussions like this.

Really the/my answer goes "'we' 'are' 'we'". Other answers include "we are our minds" or "we are our brains". But I 'am' not a brain. I 'am' not a mind. You can consider me as or model me after my brain or my mind, but I am not my brain or my mind. "I" "am" "me".

What the fuck?

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Are we our thoughts?