ForumTouchy Subjects ► Are we our thoughts?
I'm J-Rob.

What the fuck?
Would you say “blood is red”?

as sunset

and warmer than wine

So you would be one to say “blood is red”?

the taste of salty summer brine

I would say it is sometimes red.

So what is red?

A colour.

I would say it is sometimes red.

what would you say otherwise?

What do you mean? Do you mean when it isn't red? Sometimes blood is black (congealed) or blue (in your vein). Perhaps some animals have blood that isn't red.

A colour.
But blood is not a color. We can describe it by color, but blood is blood.

Colour is a trait we ascribe to an experience of ours. What's your point?

That to say “we are our thoughts” or “we are [anything other than the word “we”]” doesn’t make sense.

So it's pointless to attempt to define anything because everything just is what it is?

Not *anything* and I wouldn’t say it’s pointless either, but I’m bored of concretely understanding things. I tire of facts and evidence. I find that, when it’s safe to do so, the experience of just about any given thing is so much more enjoyable without these insipid mental blocks.

I would however say it’s prudent to remember the distinction between a thing’s descriptors and the thing itself.

Not if you don't like your thoughts.

How so do you mean?

For example, you have racist thoughts but you don't want to because you know they're wrong. Is it more enjoyable to think that that's you thinking those thoughts because there's no point distinguishing facts or understanding anything in a concrete, non-nebulous way?

? What concrete facts or evidence do you need to not have racist thoughts?

Like expand more on the “not if you have thoughts you don’t like” part.

Generally my approach to that kind of thing is to recognize “These are thoughts I have sometimes. I do not like having these thoughts but I have them anyway. I will forgive myself for having these thoughts.”

Also, watch Zardoz.

there's no point distinguishing facts or understanding anything in a concrete, non-nebulous way
Not on the topic of racist thoughts at this point: Again though, I wouldn’t say “there’s no point” but it’s tiring and irritating. I would much rather the capacity to be confused, bewildered, and stunned through mysticism than project my own opinions of beauty and awe onto something so easily explained through science. Don’t get me wrong, I still deeply enjoy the beauty in elaborate physical processes, but understanding things is dull. Once you understand something definitively, there’s no more pursuit. If something remains nebulous and mystical, there’s an endless playground of ideas to be had.

What do you mean? Do you mean when it isn't red? Sometimes blood is black (congealed) or blue (in your vein). Perhaps some animals have blood that isn't red.

I know it's not relevant, and I try not to be the guy who goes "actually *pushes up glasses*" but blood isn't blue in our veins. It is always red. The cause of our veins looking blue has to do with way light interacts with our skin. Long story short, our skin absorbs red light more than it does blue.

Just wanted to get that myth out of the way.

Do people still do streams of themselves in hot tubs on twitch?

This is in reference to defining yourself in a concrete way, eg: this is part of me and this isn't.
I know it's not relevant, and I try not to be the guy who goes "actually *pushes up glasses*" but blood isn't blue in our veins. It is always red. The cause of our veins looking blue has to do with way light interacts with our skin. Long story short, our skin absorbs red light more than it does blue.

Blood is blue when observed through skin. Blood is red when observed through oxygen. What colour is blood really?

Is colour real?

What is your definition of real? Is an interpretation of stimuli real? This is why I hate philosophy.

This is in reference to defining yourself in a concrete way, eg: this is part of me and this isn't.

Blood is blue when observed through skin. Blood is red when observed through oxygen. What colour is blood really?
What difference does it make if it’s “you” or not?

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Are we our thoughts?