ForumTouchy Subjects ► Are we our thoughts?
It's all a simulation anyway.

I dont believe that, but, go for it I guess

Nah for real though, regardless of if they’re “you” or not, what’s wrong with having thoughts you don’t like it don’t approve of other than that they cause you distress for having them? To ask “is this me or not” seems like it could imply that, depending on the answer, there might could be something wrong, almost on a moral level, with you for having whatever kind of thoughts. Everyone, regardless of what an individual is, has that not-so-much-of-a problem.

Do people still do streams of themselves in hot tubs on twitch?

If I remember right twitch demonetized that meta. ASMR licking sounds is the new hotness now.
What a world we live in.

If we have beliefs we don't approve of, or thoughts we don't agree with, are we the thoughts, or the thoughts about those thoughts? If the latter, why are some of the thoughts in our heads us but not others? Or are we not our thoughts at all, and instead something else?

And you say you don't like philosophy.

I tend to think of my self as something outside of, but heavily connected to my thoughts. I try to keep up with regular mindful meditation, it helps me disconnect from the thoughts I don't like having.

Antagonist, if you’d like I could share my religious views on “what” “we” “are.” I haven’t given you that at all yet.

I'm a skeleton trapped in a fleshsack

I think we are the totality of our minds and bodies. All our thoughts, beliefs, memories, abilities, and vices, as well as all our physical traits. I don't think there's some core immutable identity underlying everything else - just the constantly but continuously changing whole, with some parts bring more or less important or permanent.

Bad habits, intrusive thoughts, regretful memories, and shameful beliefs are all part of what makes us who we are, but so is the will to change those parts of ourselves we detest.

Speaking personally, there are many flaws in my being I would like to change, many I will never succeed in changing in my lifetime, and many more I'm not even consciously aware of.

For me, this is one of the main appeals of Christianity: that God will strengthen me to be a more righteous person during my lifetime, that he has already forgiven and paid for those flaws I ultimately won't or can't erase, and that I might be transformed after this life, to be able to love others perfectly.

That is for me as well one of the main appeals of Christianity. It also gives me a pretty solid reason to not hate myself for my flaws. Not a reason to disregard them, mind you, but knowing that this is part of “what I am” and that there is a god that loves me in spite of them and forgives them outright (I hope) is part of what keeps from going to that place - abject self loathing, and why I find it far more comforting to subscribe to Christianity than to not.

I think this gets into the metaphysics of identity. Our thoughts are a part of who we are, but just one small part.

Who we really are, seems to be much broader than one's sense of being the conscious thinking part of the mind. Identity goes beyond the conscious mind is so entangled in the relationships they have with others that when someone we are attached to dies, it's like a part of us dies and a part of them continues to live within us.

It's far more complex than I could account for, but I think who or what we are is probably something that we can't be fully consciously aware of.

Thoughts are things we have, not things we are. That's what I think anyway.

Isn't what we have a part of who we are to some extent?

When I think of "who I am" it starts to look like something abstract that is more inclusive than exclusive. I am not just a brain and body. I think to the extent which anything becomes integrated into my personality, my life and my memories, it somehow has become a part of me.

That makes sense to me.

E7 said:
Isn't what we have a part of who we are to some extent?

When I think of "who I am" it starts to look like something abstract that is more inclusive than exclusive. I am not just a brain and body. I think to the extent which anything becomes integrated into my personality, my life and my memories, it somehow has become a part of me.

I guess we could flip the question as well. are we who others see us as?

No, I don't think we are exactly what others see us as or as we see ourselves, but others may notice things about ourselves that we don't see given a different perspective, just as we have a different perspective than those who see us, albeit, a much closer perspective.

What actually is and what we see are two different things. I think who we are is something we are never fully aware of, and identity itself may just be a subjective awareness of ourselves.

but if you're constantly being someone else with other people, and never get a chance to be yourself, are you actually yourself? do you become that image people see you as?

To an extent we might hide parts of ourselves or put on some pretense and to an extent that might change us as we all change one another. To an extent we are part of those around us and they are also part of us, and that is to the extent identity is established through relationships. Just as your friends might influence how you behave and who you are, you may also be influencing them.

wow, that's really deep. but yeah I can see my friends changing whenever I meet up with them. one of them has changed the most and I feel like there's so much she doesnt tell me that I have yet to find out about her

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Are we our thoughts?