ForumTouchy Subjects ► Will Smith slapped Chris Rock
Did Chris Rock deserve it? Should Will Smith have slapped him?

Will deserves an Oscar. Not for King Richard, but for the array of emotions he switched between that night. From initially laughing at the joke, to angrily shouting at the same joke, to crying in his speech, to singing and dancing at the after-party.

G. I. Jane was about a sexy, empowered woman with a shaved-head. I don't think the joke was insulting Jada, if anything it was encouraging her. Of course it was a joke, but it was affectionate. He didn't say she looked ugly or bad. She's been posting videos about how she's cool with being bald and thinks she looks good and doesn't care what people think. I don't think the joke was mean-spirited, it was laughing in the face of adversity.

Hollywood revealed itself to be even more spineless and morally bankrupt than we already thought. They initially said they asked Will to leave but he refused, which is pathetic enough, but now it's been revealed they never even asked him to leave (let alone forced). So he was allowed to go onstage, receive an award and give a speech where he preached kindness and made himself out to be the victim - and receive a standing ovation for it.

Yeah

I liked the one meme where he did the thing and then the thing.

chris rock is one of my favorite celebrities so this may be biased but don't slap people, if you're going to be slapping people at least do it behind closed doors

Obviously don't slap people, but at the same time, you tweak any one of a hundred variables very slightly and this becomes something that literally nobody would be paying nearly this much attention to. Violence is bad, slapping doesn't care and happens anyway, nobody usually cares nearly this much.

but it's mr. irobot

that's the only will smith movie I remember

bug said:
but it's mr. irobot

that's the only will smith movie I remember

a far bigger tragedy tbh

I'm actually not sure I understand why it's so controversial. It seems like a moment that should've only ever been a meme for a couple days, then forgotten. The controversy seems to be raging on.

true

I believe it was all a ploy to make the Oscars relevant.

Being called GI Jane is a compliment.

Compliments depend on what someone is actually trying to say. Someone says I remind them of Charles Barkley and it's because I'm funny, say how I feel and because I like gambling, that's cool. If they're saying it because I'm fat and terrible at golf, I wouldn't like it.

I think it's silly that this is being treated so seriously by some. The dude lost his temper and slapped someone. No one was seriously hurt, and he's been booted from the academy over it. Not sure what else there is to discuss.

I’m just pleased ‘cause this is the first time in years that I’ve heard something about a celebrity and haven’t had to ask “Who is that?” If anything it’s kinda funny because Will Smith bitch slapping Chris Rock sounds like exactly what you’d get if you had a movie starring Will Smith and Chris Rock.

joetom said:
I think it's silly that this is being treated so seriously by some. The dude lost his temper and slapped someone. No one was seriously hurt, and he's been booted from the academy over it. Not sure what else there is to discuss.

He did resign actually, but I completely agree it's a slap. I think it's silly to think it's staged. Chris Rock isn't going to let someone slap him in the face for the academy. At least not for any amount of money the academy would be willing to pay.

I assume it was a "resign or get kicked out" kind of situation.

Oh seems likely.

I don't think his Oscar should be revoked, because it was given for his acting no matter what he did outside that, so he earned it. They never revoked Weinstein or Polanski's Oscars.

I think petty violence is too normalized, so I'm glad the backlash has been as strong as it has.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Will Smith slapped Chris Rock