ForumTouchy Subjects ► Supreme Court Overturning Abortion Rights
This is going to be really controversial and only split Americans even more. Personally, I have full support for the freedom of a woman to choose if they get an abortion or not, but what do you think?

This thread is going to be fun.

we have overhad this conversation so much already

There's no thread about specifically the Supreme court decision.

now i dont know anything about anything but i think people should be allowed to have abortions if they want

okay. overturning abortion rights is dumb.

Being unable to prevent pregnancy can really mess up a family's entire life. Everyone has a list of goals, and a woman might not have giving birth on their list. If people are against abortion, well it's their choice, and they shouldn't force a ban on people who feel it is necessary. Freedom of choice.

And this Court decision, if it comes to fruition, is going to do nothing but split American politics even more.

this could all be solved if people just joined the #virgin4lyfers

Lmao.

Alito's writing is so logically and morally bankrupt, he should be disbarred. It's actually infuriating to read.

Can you kick a justice out?

W_Licky said:
Can you kick a justice out?

No. They can in theory be impeached in the same way a President can, but he won't be impeached for this. He would be acquitted by the senate anyway even if the house managed to pass articles of impeachment.

Has a justice ever been impeached or close to being impeached?

W_Licky said:
Has a justice ever been impeached or close to being impeached?

Only one justice was ever impeached in the 1800s, but he was acquitted by the senate. It's even more rare than a presidential impeachment. Unfortunately

I read someone compare forced birth to forced organ donation or forced blood donation. We don't usually make people in this country support others with life and limb, even if it would save lives. Even when a corpse could be used for good, it is not used against their will if they haven't opted for donating. These are also humans with real lives and families, not unborn babies, that die every day because people aren't actively in the donor system or opt out of doing so at death.

It made me sad but I realized it's pretty accurate to say women have less bodily autonomy than a corpse.

I'm in AZ and we have a trigger law for this, so I'm pretty scared. I want kids eventually so an unplanned one could be okay for me, but it's still terrible and can affect unhealthy birth situations too where the baby could kill you.

W_Licky said:
This is going to be really controversial and only split Americans even more. Personally, I have full support for the freedom of a woman to choose if they get an abortion or not, but what do you think?

I don't really care, to be honest. Should all babies live? Should people have the choice to have an abortion if they so please? I don't know.

idk

Have Supreme Court decisions been leaked before? I assume it's pretty unusual. What's the normal time-frame between them writing their decision and publishing their decision? Was it leaked a day before, a week before, a month before?

This is very unusual. I saw one theory earlier from a former SCOTUS clerk that it was likely a conservative aid who leaked it as a way to try to lock it in. Here's the thread, it's worth a read: https://twitter.com/akapczynski/status/1521494553877962754?t=kPCXfHc7hYlfpTDLNPftCg&s=19

Regardless of Roe v. Wade being overturned, states still have the option to create legislation regarding abortion in each state.

So it was drafted in February, leaked in May, and due to be published in June. The theory that a supporter leaked it relies on there being some doubt it was going to happen. Was there? They only had one more month to keep quiet.

I don't see why this will divide Americans any more than they already are. It's legal, and half the country don't like it. Now it's going to be illegal, and half the country don't like it. It's just a different half.

I think the problem at hand is less about polarization and more about abortion access.

E7 said:
Regardless of Roe v. Wade being overturned, states still have the option to create legislation regarding abortion in each state.

This is not very comforting, especially when states are likely to make laws about going to other states to acquire an abortion. Right now if Roe v Wade is struck down abortion will immediately become illegal in about thirty states due to trigger laws.

Not everyone can afford to move to a different state, and frankly it's not even desirable that they would, given that the people leaving would cause those states to become even more red and ultimately mean more power for federal lawmakers to outlaw abortion on a federal level. Swing states would just become red.

And for young people... well they'd just be fucked in that case.

Hey folks, I'm in Washington State, and right now it looks like things will stay legal here.

You can reach out to me for a VISIT for COMPLETELY UNRELATED REASONS if you need to.

Trigger laws in 30 states? I'm not sure about that.

Still, if the democratic majority in a state doesn't want legal abortion then that's just democracy at work. Sure it sucks, but I don't know of a single state that doesn't have something written into their constitution allowing for abortions when there are major medical concerns.

I support bodily autonomy rights for women, but we honestly need a stronger precedent than Roe v. Wade. I haven't yet heard the supreme court recordings, but I'd imagine that stronger laws protecting abortion rights are probably not far off .

That is a stupid take.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Supreme Court Overturning Abortion Rights