ForumTouchy Subjects ► Why is it bad to call women the b-word?
I made a forum thread that called a woman the b-word and it got deleted. Why is that so wrong?

Oh wait no I forgot it didn't get deleted after all. Nevermind. Carry on. Everyone about your business.

At first I saw this thread and thought “oh man…” but is it supposed to be particularly bad to call a woman a bitch? I call people bitches all the time. Some people can be huge bitches and really bitchy too. Women can be bitchy bitches too so I know I’ve called a fair share of them bitches as well.

Bitch and cunt are the 2 that really get their dander up. I think it's because there really isn't an equal male equivalent. Prick and dick are basically just the same as asshole. I too will totally say bitches in a joking way but I'm a cartoon character.

Bitch is super gendered in a kinda misogynistic way.

When you apply bitch to men, you're usually talking about them in a way that's saying they're exhibiting some kind of negative stereotypical feminine quality. Whining, nagging, being passive aggressive, not "manning up," etc.

It's shitty.

Interesting. I’ve always thought of “bitch” as just… mean and rude, not necessarily “feminine” qualities.

Contrast it with "dick" or "asshole" and think about the specific types of mean and rude you use "bitch" for.

eriophora said:
Bitch is super gendered in a kinda misogynistic way.

When you apply bitch to men, you're usually talking about them in a way that's saying they're exhibiting some kind of negative stereotypical feminine quality. Whining, nagging, being passive aggressive, not "manning up," etc.

It's shitty.

Is ignoring texts a feminine quality?

eriophora said:
Contrast it with "dick" or "asshole" and think about the specific types of mean and rude you use "bitch" for.
Well, I’m more likely to call a straight man a bitch if I’m gonna call him any of the three to his face but that’s because… you know how they can be about being called that. Mostly it’s kinda just whatever comes to mind first. Like are you asking if I associate different modes of rudeness with different genders?

Might be worth considering why a straight man would react more adversely to bitch compared to asshole, perhaps, given that?

Why do you think straight men have a bigger and more negative to bitch compared to other insults? What do you think it means to them and makes them react that way?

I had a thought, but I lost it.

eriophora said:
Might be worth considering why a straight man would react more adversely to bitch compared to asshole, perhaps, given that?

Why do you think straight men have a bigger and more negative to bitch compared to other insults? What do you think it means to them and makes them react that way?
Because they hear it and think “I’m not a woman” because they’re terrible at disassociating gender with anything. We’re talking about people who see pink and think “girly” when it’s just a color. Damn right I’m gonna take advantage of that weird perspective and insecurity.

Yes, straight men, not all of you yeah.

So, uh, we've come full circle back to concluding that "bitch" is generally associated with women and feminine qualities, lol.

Sure, you're using and abusing that association, but it's definitely THERE.

Edit: alright, I’ve got basically no ammo left, so I think it’s time I just admit that I like calling certain people I know “bitches”.

I made a forum thread that called a woman the b-word and it got deleted. Why is that so wrong?

what thread was it...

samus, why did you necropost on a thread that was made by a currently-banned user

i didnt realize they were banned...

How can you tell?

"Bitch" is associated with women, "bastard" is associated with men, what's the difference. Just try to avoid all name-calling (with the obvious exception of people giving stupid answers in quiz-shows).

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Why is it bad to call women the b-word?