ForumTouchy Subjects ► Tort reform
If you don't know what that is, it's civic law reform that will try and reduce frivolous law suits. Since malpractice insurance is around 100k for surgeons (40k for doctors), I think it could help in lowering health care cost.

Most definitely.

Umm... Mind explaining more?

I don't know anything about this, but I don't think that medical malpractice lawsuits are really frivolous. That being said, there are many that are.

They usually are.

Malpractice insurance is insurance for professionals that will protect them from the bill from a law suit if they ever screw up. Malpractice insurance has been skyrocketing the last few years for medical professionals and thus forcing them to charge more for the services. What tort reform tries to do is to stop frivolous law suits from happening, which is basically a law suit that has a ridiculous reason behind it. For example, a woman at my mothers work bumped her head on a cabinet and tried to sue the place for putting that cabinet there and causing her brain damage. This woman had a history of suing people for stupid reasons (her husband even divorced her for it) and every once in awhile they just ended up settling. This has been happening more and more in the medical profession which could be a reason why medical prices have been skyrocketing as of late.

Tort reform needs to happen immediately if not sooner. Not only will medical costs decrease noticeably but loads of other frivelous lawsuits go away as well. All those embarassing ambulance chasing lawyers go away. Just bringing in "loser pays" laws would help tremendously. That's how the UK does it.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Tort reform