ForumTouchy Subjects ► Voluntary Human Extinction Movement
Only if it were voluntary

Grayseff said:
I think math is relative, any paper begins with a list of definitions. There's furious debate as to whether zero should be included in the Peano Axioms, and defining physics in terms of quaternions, C* algebras or in geometric terms etcetc impacts the nature of symmetry. The list goes on and on, but you and I could probably take that debate elsewhere if you wanted.
Probably not necessary. I'll hopefully conclude by saying that I believe some things are real, one such category of things being math (definitions per se are not mathematical reality). If you want to hold that nothing is objectively real, then of course it's consistent to hold that neither math nor morality are objectively real. That's an entirely different worldview and one that I can't possibly refute. (If nothing - not even logic - is real, then there isn't even a solid basis for us to be having a rational argument right now.)

I wouldn't go so far as logic isn't real. I think math is an expression of clearly defined rules: we define addition in terms of a set of axioms it must follow that 2+3=5.

The universe seems to follow similar logic: we define energy as a quantity the universe conserves based on observations and see where that must logically take us. If the universe did not obey the rules we assigned it then the logical progression fails and we need to assume new parameters (Euclidean transformations gave way to Lorentz transformations for that reason).

Morality doesn't appear to work that way. It doesn't appear to obey a set of rules that we can assume and follow to their logical conclusion.

Grayseff said:
Morality doesn't appear to work that way. It doesn't appear to obey a set of rules that we can assume and follow to their logical conclusion.
Well that's the entire mission of moral philosophy, AKA ethics. I think one can try to identify a set of moral axioms and use them to derive moral truths.

But hey, even if I'm incorrect then at least I'm not wrong. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ahaha after a large diversion into philosophy I think we've probably reached an accord. Either way I think we probably both agree it's immoral to make humans extinct themselves, wherever we think our morals come from.

🤝

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Voluntary Human Extinction Movement