ForumTouchy Subjects ► Why Should Alcohol (and/or Weed) be Allowed/Banned?
I just wanted to know the general consensus of this topic of this site.

The world would be a better place if alcohol didn't exist, but prohibition causes more problems than it solves, historically.

The world would be a better place if alcohol didn't exist, but prohibition causes more problems than it solves, historically.

Concise and apt. They should be legal, but we should just generally as a society choose not to use them. I used to be less opposed, but then I became a criminal lawyer and the majority of the crimes I saw/see wouldn't have happened if everyone was sober.

Its true. I became a criminal and I wouldn't have if I didn't develop an alcohol abuse problem.

Lots of people use it casually and responsibly, so I wouldn't wanna take away that freedom, but I don't really see the point in casual use to be honest so I'ma just be sober here out.

Like, the way I feel on zero drinks is better than what I feel on 1-2 drinks and anything more than that is just dangerous so.

as a minor who has never tried alcohol my opinion should be taken with a grain of salt, but I feel like it should be more restricted, possibly even requiring something like a driver's license for alcohol that only responsible drinkers can have.

Well you need ID to buy alcohol, but I don't see why it should need to be a driver's license. In fact, driver's licenses as de facto universal ID annoys me. Driver's licenses are for driving. I remember being stopped by police on foot and they wanted to see my driver's license! I came on the bus. What about your passport? Why would I bring my passport? Haven't you got any ID with you? No. Why not? Because I'm not doing an activity that requires ID.

Alcohol and marijuana should both be legal, and the tax raised should go directly back into the healthcare system to treat the effects of it.

I think the idea was a license to show responsibility, not necessarily a driver's license. Here you can also get government issued 18+ cards for the purchase of alcohol and cigarettes.

I see a lot about alcohol and nothing about pot. What do you guys think about weed? I think there's nothing wrong with smoking a joint once in awhile just like having a beer. It's all about moderation. Some people can't handle weed, and some can't handle their alcohol. Cut back! Damn, it's not rocket science. I'm for legalization with penalties for being stupid while drunk/high (public intoxication, dui, maybe only give dui's to people who deserve it. Not people who take 1-2 tokes or 1 avg size 12oz beer with them on the road and drive straight) that shit used to be legal!

Yeah I'm in favour of legalisation. I don't smoke and wouldn't know where to get it if I wanted to anymore. If it became legal I'd probably try it again for the novelty.

For me, a completely 'drug free' life isn't possible. I smoke weed every day. I'm definitely self medicating, but I've been through treatment, take other psych meds, and I function. I have a psychiatrist that I see at least annually to re-up my prescriptions. I have been completely sober in terms of abstaining from illegal drugs, and the additional medication I had to take to accomplish that caused me to have a worse quality of life with less functionality. When we're talking about someone that has been given a sentence of 'take psychotropic medication for life, or you'll end up half naked in the middle of the highway trying to sell a wheelbarrow full of ice and fudge pops to people because 'it's a heat wave!', should we care if they use substances as long as that use isn't interfering with their medication or impairing their functionality?

Generally, my belief is that drug addictions are more effectively treated as a health concern rather than a legal one.

aprzn123 said:
Generally, my belief is that drug addictions are more effectively treated as a health concern rather than a legal one.

Very true. Treatment of addiction is a lot more effective when you realise it's a health issue, not a moral failing.

Additionally, restricting alcohol and drugs just makes it "cool" to use them, and less safe to do so, since their quality is less well-regulated. The real way to solve this is to go the way of cigarettes: no more advertising, restrict what can be shown in media. Movies and television teach us that, for example, drinking alcohol to excess is standard and should be emulated because only losers abstain. We need a culture shift and to stop allowing advertising for extremely dangerous poison. Restricting access via law doesn't accomplish either goal. It just makes a bunch of normal people into criminals, which doesn't help anyone.

Additionally, restricting alcohol and drugs just makes it "cool" to use them, and less safe to do so, since their quality is less well-regulated.

The way I rationalize it is that if people are willing to use drugs now, they would be willing to use it if it's criminalized. And if they're criminalized, they can't be regulated. And if you're not regulated, then you can use some pretty harsh business practices. If the drug cartels are willing to maim, kill, extort, and blackmail to keep market dominance, think about what alcohol cartels would be willing to do. Oh, that's right, we don't. Al Capone is a great example of what they would be willing to do.

Drug Abuse is a societal and moral issue, not a legal one. Which is why I like what some countries do - decriminalize most drugs and instead have persecution-free clinics. It reduces the rate of overdoses and increases rehab rates.

Some people can't handle weed, and some can't handle their alcohol. Cut back! Damn, it's not rocket science.
Are you being serious?

well they are right that it isnt rocket science. I have never heard of someone getting addicted to flight systems

Weed should be legal to possess and sell if it’s taxed. And preferably have some sort of certification of quality and consistency and an understandable table showing the levels of different cannabinoids present. If it ends up being treated like a “nutritional supplement” then it needs to have “Not been verified by the FDA” on the container it comes in for any claims it makes that haven’t been verified. I’d prefer if no supplements were allowed to make any such claims at all, but there’s nothing technically incorrect about a statement that starts with “May help with ...” Whatever it comes in needs to warn of the potential for addiction, a reminder that inhaling smoke is bad for you, needs to tell you what conditions it could worsen. I’d like for all of this to apply to tobacco and alcohol as well. The annoying thing about all of it is that people want it legal for recreational and medical use at the same time. And medical use for huge amount of conditions. That’s, to say the least, unprecedented. That would make it the only drug ever to be used for both legally with more than just one or two indications for medical use. So you want it legal both ways. How are you going to make them into different drugs? Make some strains only allowed for medical use? People enjoy all strains and the strains they choose to use medically often comes down preference. Make the medical use start after a certain level of a certain cannabinoid? People sometimes using very strong weed for fun and there’s nothing necessarily dangerous about using strong weed for that. Plus you’re never gonna see an insurance company cover the weed you buy from your dude who drives a stupidly “cool” car to your apartment to sell you weed, or the weed you bought at the same place that sells bongs and incense. Basically how could you justify distinguishing the two? And if you don’t distinguish the two then how can you prescribe it when there’s things like some varieties might make someone have a panic attack and others will probably help the same person with anxiety. And you’re not seriously going to be a doctor advising your patient to buy weed from a head shop if that’s legal where you are and they want to use weed.

I agree with other things said in the thread. What’s wrong with smoking a joint every now and then, I’d even say every day, to relax? Nothing at all. Is it bad for you? Taking a drug for any reason other than treating medical conditions is never ‘good’ for you, at least. Most drugs aren’t exactly good for you, at least some parts of you, even if you are treating something.

I’d also rather people not smoke weed for fun because it feels better to see someone who’s healthy enough to not need or even want weed to better enjoy certain things, especially when you know exactly what it’s like. At the same time, if you’re fine with that, go ahead and toke up.

Edit: Frankly I’d like to see people get passed medical “cannabis” and get into medical cannabinoids and drugs derived from the drugs in cannabis. I could go on and on about how much better this would be. Just imagine aerosolized THC. As in inside of an inhaler and not some stupid bong or vape pen.

Honestly, I think people should have the freedom to do what they want. I don't think that the use of any drug should be illegal. I think the making and distrubtion should be.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Why Should Alcohol (and/or Weed) be Allowed/Banned?