ForumTouchy Subjects ► Unpopular Opinions
I'm with you everywhere except for 4. That would be some pretty heavy duty censorship. Drug and alcohol use has been around a lot longer than movies and TV anyway. They make you feel good. Folks are gonna do things that make them feel good. And I humbly say that I know you're smarter than me and I'm certain you've given this a lot more thought than me, but I feel like censorship that strong just seems wrong, you know?

okay

We censor all sorts of things. You can't have full nudity on television. You can't publicly incite hatred (hate speech) in Canada. You can't use a number of slurs. Ratings (PG, R, etc.) are censorship. It's a crime to tell people to commit crimes, or to advise them on how to do so. Certain types of political ads aren't allowed. Censorship isn't always a bad thing. It's potentially very bad, of course, but sometimes it's warranted (like criminalising telling people that we should murder all the Jews*). Freedom of speech isn't, and shouldn't be, a 100% unfettered right.

Also, kids do stuff they see in media all the fucking time. There's a reason ads need to specify "this stunt was done by a professional and should not be attempted at home" or whatever.

* This specific case is a very important one in criminal law where the Supreme Court considered whether this law violated freedom of speech. It does, but they determined that the reason it did was more important than freedom of speech.

I'm not opposed to all censorship, but like a blanket ban like what your talking about seems too far. Like I understand not putting it on public TV. One thing I think we can all agree on is that the anti-drug ads they show kids America are awful. They made me want to do drugs.

If you give it an R rating, kids will just think it's cool. Which I suppose is better than them just seeing it willy nilly, but still.

One thing I think we can all agree on is that the anti-drug ads they show kids America are awful.

Yeah we can definitely agree on that one lmao

i liked the general discussion one better

Yeah ngl I did too

You could rename the old thread to "lukewarm opinions" or "tepid opinions" and keep going

Can someone be to sensitive? I mean have we gotten to a point where you cant say or do something because someone might just get offended. Fuck it. welcome to the real world bitches 🖕😘🖕

Pelon said:
Can someone be to sensitive? I mean have we gotten to a point where you cant say or do something because someone might just get offended. Fuck it. welcome to the real world bitches 🖕😘🖕

Yawn.

Tired? Sweety go to sleep.

i am tired i stayed up late last night to get my final english assignment turned in on time

I can't. I need to watch 48 hours of surveillance video before tomorrow. But thankfully staring at a door for hours on end is more stimulating than the hot take of "snowflakes, am I right?"

I can't. I need to watch 48 hours of surveillance video before tomorrow. But thankfully staring at a door for hours on end is more stimulating than the hot take of "snowflakes, am I right?"

i don't understand

also i thought it was 96

I told him he's getting 48 and then I'm going home. I'm not spending 8 hours tonight reviewing surveillance.

How much is your retainer?

For what, specifically? It depends on what you're charged with. Or are you asking my hourly rate?

What do you practice?

Criminal defence. If you need to retain me, something's probably gone very wrong for you.

"I'm gonna be doing a lot of shit I shouldn't and I'm probably gonna get caught a lot. Stick around."

"I like to do crime but also I'm an idiot so I expect I will get caught."

Criminal defence. If you need to retain me, something's probably gone very wrong for you.

No i need more like a family/divorce lawyer.

Being a (straight) white male doesn’t necessarily make your life easier.
I’ve actually got a bone to pick with this one, or rather just some thoughts I want to get out. I’ve had people that I know - in person - try to tell me that the things I have and where I am in life are only such because I’m a white guy who apparently “benefits from straight privilege because [he doesn’t] look or sound gay”. I’ve overcome a lot and worked my ass off to get to where I am. Yeah, that’s stuff helped me a lot with things like not getting arrested when I probably should have gotten arrested, more employment opportunities, better treatment from society in general but where was any of that when I was sexually abused as a child, or raped as a teenager, or having the shit beat beat out of me every day by my parents, or when I was struggling with abusing opioids, or when I failed at killing myself or when dealing with the psychological fallout from all of that? You can’t even say that it helped me get into the school I go to because the majority of people here are black women. Yeah I got the help of doctors and a psychologist, but being white and male didn’t make it easier for me to google psychologists in Louisiana. I’m not trying to give some sort of sob story because I’m well over all of that, but truly anyone who might ever look at a person who’s doing okay to well for themselves and think “Well they only have it semi-good to good because they’re a white guy” - go fuck yourself with rebar. Find the rustiest rebar you can, put it in a fire until it glows red, and shove it right up your asshole. All of this “have empathy for others and their feelings”, and this “try to be more understanding of others” that I see people here insisting and the people like the ones who’ve told me what I said I was told is bullshit until they can also extend it to people they don’t necessarily like. I know that North American society isn’t gonna treat me like shit for my race or my gender, and I will absolutely never be someone to say something like “But what about the white men’s rights?”, and I know that not many people are like this, but what I really want to say is that how society treats you is not the only thing that influences what your life is like and god dammit some people forget that.

Being a (straight) white male doesn’t necessarily make your life easier.

Being a straight white (etc.) man doesn't make your life easy, necessarily. It just means it isn't additionally difficult because of things like racism, sexism, etc.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Unpopular Opinions