ForumTouchy Subjects ► US Citizenship and Immigration
among legal immigrants.
"The System Works" Says Poll of People the System Worked For

People love to argue back and forth about whether or not the system "works", but the real debate is what the system is supposed to be doing in the first place. We need to agree what the function is to determine if its performing that function.

Just because someone chose to immigrate illegally doesn't mean the system wasn't "working" for them. People like shortcuts. And in many cases, what an individual would-be migrant wants and what's best for the immigration system as a whole are not the same thing. I will say though that IMO the immigration system could use a lot of streamlining.

Edit: Agreed, Millpond.

Just because an applicant got rejected, doesn't mean the system isn't working. The system's function isn't to let everyone in.

the system's function is to artificially restrict the mobility of labor in order to unnaturally skew market forces in favor of capital. And to bolster ultranationalist sentiment in order to steer the masses toward fascism rather than communism when the myriad ever-escalating crises generated by capitalism inevitably come to a head.
so i suppose, yeah, the system works. it just works toward unconscionable ends

instead of artificially restricting the movement of labor we should do it explicitly by digging a trench along the borders of the US and pushing Canada and Mexico away.

Since we're necroing anyway... It's always interesting to me seeing the contrast between progressive (usually white, native English-speaking) folks' opinions on immigration and those of actual non-white, ESL immigrants such as my wife.
They're not a monolith, certainly. Lots of white liberals in white liberal bubbles don't know about how diverse brown Americans are politically on immigration and border security.

the system's function is to artificially restrict the mobility of labor in order to unnaturally skew market forces in favor of capital. And to bolster ultranationalist sentiment in order to steer the masses toward fascism rather than communism when the myriad ever-escalating crises generated by capitalism inevitably come to a head.
so i suppose, yeah, the system works. it just works toward unconscionable ends
”Restrict the mobility of labor” as in?

Forum > Touchy Subjects > US Citizenship and Immigration