Forum > Touchy Subjects > Brexit
Why do you think Brexit happened. Outside of the side-you-don't-agree-with being evil, what do you think the underlying differences are that led 52% to Leave and 48% to Remain?

I am not well-versed on issues of British politic, but I am betting that part of the Leave camp saw that the EU was becoming more of a government than an economic partnership, which is bothersome if you want to maintain your national pride and identity.

For the Stay camp, I would venture a guess that the fearmongering on one side won out for some of them, while the political freedoms were super important for others.

Central Place Theory doesn't work if you're separated by an island. They should have left.

Your Central Place theory schtick is certainly one of the more curious trolls, I'll give you that. Though I'll take you seriously and point out that there are plenty of islands which are part of a wider political union, eg Manhattan Island is part of the US. Hell, the Hawaiian islands are part of the US. Though maybe you think that's wrong too.

Also, they're separated by water.

I would have probably voted leave. The EU has devalued labour by increasing supply and reduced the UK's influence and trade with its historical empire. Though the latter point can't be repaired by leaving the EU.

I don't like the remain camp's insistence that leavers are far right loonies. I don't like the insistence that old people shouldn't have voted: Sure they won't have to go through a divided EU for long but they've lived through more of it than young people.

I also strongly dislike the left wing ceeding all negotiating to the Tories. The vote is over, come up with an alternative leave platform or be happy with the Tories doing a shit job of it.

I would have voted Remain. The promises of the Leave campaign were all smoke and mirrors - like the £350m-a-week NHS funding pledge.
Remainers wanted to have full control of migration but still wanted access to the common market. Some people would call that wanting to have your cake and eat it too. I am not a fan of protectionist economic policy either.

I don't mean to be rude, but an Australian accusing the EU of fighting protectionism is absolutely absurd.

I think Larana is right to say that the vote was won on empty promises.

Essentially, there was a whole lot of dissatisfaction, and the leave campaign picked up on that and said it was all due to the EU. Well, things are going to get worse, and guess what - the people that campaigned for it will now claim some other cause which they promise to fix.

People are stupid.

Sure, I'm not going to pretend that this specific leave campaign wasn't awful, but that doesn't mean there are no legitimate complaints or even no left wing platform for leaving.

What I think is even worse than the dishonest Brexit campaign is (again) to cede the decision making to the right wing and refusing to make a proper go of Brexit. It's done, and the LibDems and factions of labour pretending that if they try hard enough they can stop it are counterproductive and deluded.

Speaking of counterproductive and deluded, what was with all the "protests" from Remainers after the vote? What were they protesting? We know 48% voted Remain, we saw the results too. But it's decided by votes, not protests.

Not necessarily.

For example in the 1979 Scottish devolution referendum the vote was won by similar margins to Brexit. However, there was a provision that 40% of the electorate must approve, and the turnout was too low for that to be met.

(See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_devolution_referendum,_1979 for more info).

That is a very reasonable provision for any major constitutional (for lack of a better word in the case of our two countries) decision decided by referendum.

And yet Brexit did not have it.

I was intending to point out that a majority in the ballot does not necessarily carry the day.

Sure, it was not -- however -- a condition on the ballot. The UK doesn't care about political majorities, it cares about district plurality. It's a shitty system, but that's another thread.

The Brexit referendum didn't have anything to do with electorates, it was about a national majority. Newspapers might make maps showing how electorates voted, but it's purely out of interest to show the geographic distribution of the vote.

I was speaking more generally about the UK voting mentality.