ForumTouchy Subjects ► Vegetarianism/Veganism
It's very strange. I was always one of those people who was like "I could never be a vegetarian, I can't give up meat." Look at me now, 3 months going strong. I don't even have a taste for it anymore.

I'm completely foregoing meat at the end of the month... I never thought I could give it up. Ever.

Le'Saac said:
Ethically and environmentally, industrial farming is one of the worst things in the planet.

If you want to know more about industrial farming, check out the video Earthlings, which finally convinced me to go vegetarian in 2012.

I never want to eat a chicken again

I'm not vegan/vegetarian, nor plan on being one, so I'd like to get ones opinion on this. Is meat grown in a petri dish vegan?

Not technically, because it's still an animal product. However, vegans are vegan for different reasons, and some would probably have no problem eating such a meat product.

I ran into This article today. It talks about the effectiveness of different diets in terms of land use and the human carrying capacity they support. They link to the full paper, which is available for free.
They found that lacto-vegetarian up through about 40% omnivorous (60% ovolacto-vegetarian) diets outperform a pure vegan diet because they can make use of grazing and perennial cropland. Obviously there are other potential reasons to go vegan and the current average diet is nowhere near 60% vegetarian but I thought it was some pretty neat information.

That is cool - thanks!

Seconded. Very interesting.

The whole concept of eating plants to save the lives of animals is flawed

I agree.

I don't know that vegans are not eating animals to save their lives exactly - from what I understand it largely has to do with the ethics of the industry. Of course, bees are used more unethically in pollinating crops than they are in making honey, and all sorts of discrepancies.

I care about animals, and I also have been eating basically vegan for the past five months, but I think I am happiest when eating meat and vegetables. It's hard to reconcile feeling bad about animals but also feeling much healthier when I eat meat. Humans did evolve as omnivores, and I'm not sure I agree with things where people say that we have evolved intellectually and so we can choose not to be carnists. The inclination is there, and I also think that humans have just evolved in a way where diversity of diet is important.

I think consumption of meat is going up in the world as well, mostly because areas and people that were previously too poor to afford to eat meat can now. Honestly it's a good thing that those people are being able to incorporate further nutrition, even at the detriment of animals. It's just unfortunate that we evolved the way that we did, and so I think the best solution would be to make meat and other animal product industries as humane as possible, although I don't know specifically what that entails.

Part of me would like to go argue with some vegans who believe that everyone has an obligation to be vegan, just because I'd like to hear their advice for my anemia and iron allergy because I fall on a weird spectrum with that. But I also just view meat as unfortunately healthy for people and have a hard time begrudging anyone who wants to eat it, medical necessity or no! Even though I do dislike the industries, and sometimes feel a sense of revulsion about eating some critter that had to be killed... I don't know. Humans evolved to eat meat, un-intellectually, and I think it's hard to get everyone on the planet on the same intellectual page about something like that.

From a health standpoint, at least most of the relatively smarter and more social animals (pigs, cows) are also less healthy to eat than the dumber ones (fish, insects).

I am trying to become at least vegetarian because I don't believe there are any necessary nutrients in meat that you can't get from plants or other sources, and I never had a liking for meat in the first place. Unfortunately, my parents still make me eat meat every so often, although they are accepting my different sense of taste a little more.

I love meat. I love it so much. I'd be really sad if there were no meats.

I enjoy the taste of meat also, but is the stereotype of preachy vegetarian/vegan mostly a myth?

Vegetarians tend to be less preachy, but the stereotypical vegan is definitely accurate. As a guess, vegetarians tend to be that way due to personal moral feelings, whereas vegans tend to be that way because of some absolute moral principles they feel compelled to preach at every opportunity.

That makes sense.

Extremely anecdotally, the top comment on any NPR article tangentially related to the consumption of animals is guaranteed to be a vegan evangelist.

I think you're all overlooking preachy meat-eaters.

"Vegetarian?! Oh, I couldn't live without bacon, me. Bacon, bacon, bacon".
"Vegetarian? But it's the food chain! It's not our fault we're on top".
"Vegetarian? Oh God, you're not going to start preaching are you? You always preach".
"Vegetarian? Why are you a vegetarian? How long have you been vegetarian? Don't you miss meat?"
"Vegetarian? Fight me!"

Etc.

Hah, "fight me" that one's actually mean aside from the fact that it says "fight me.”
veganbodybuilding.com

I don't really care what people eat, as long as it isn't people, or alive when they eat it.

How about something like foie gras, which requires downright animal abuse to make?

It's something that should be barred from export, but it's extremely iffy to tell the French their historical culinary offerings should be banned in their own country. Is stun-less Halal in the Middle East ok?

Millpond said:
I think you're all overlooking preachy meat-eaters.

"Vegetarian?! Oh, I couldn't live without bacon, me. Bacon, bacon, bacon".
"Vegetarian? But it's the food chain! It's not our fault we're on top".
"Vegetarian? Oh God, you're not going to start preaching are you? You always preach".
"Vegetarian? Why are you a vegetarian? How long have you been vegetarian? Don't you miss meat?"
"Vegetarian? Fight me!"

Etc.

This is my life. Plus people trying to catch me out:
Do you wear leather?
Are you unhealthy?
But natural order?

Coldfrost said:
How about something like foie gras, which requires downright animal abuse to make?

Can it be made from Canada Geese? Because fuck Canada Geese.

Forum > Touchy Subjects > Vegetarianism/Veganism