ForumGeneral Discussion ► We Hate Working
Work hate thread. Talk about your job and how much stress it brings you!

Everything I have to complain about is admittedly pretty small, but I'll still complain!

Today I was left making drinks for the drive through AND handling the drive through window alone during the busiest time of day. I was mismanaging payment, handing out food, giving them drink I didn't have time to make, and constantly running out of stuff that I barely had time to restock. Yay!

Also wrestling with the half broken shake machine. We literally have to punch it to make it work.

Man, service industry sucks. I'm glad I'm doing something else this summer, but I feel for all of y'all who have to put up with that shit

I hate when people ask how much something is and when I can't remember off the top of my head it's "free".
Commence fake laugh.
I don't even fake laugh anymore. I just deadpan stare at them and say the water is free. Would you like a cup?

I used to work in retail and when things won't scan or are missing tags people would do that.

Recently, I was trying to buy this cheap batman boogie board at home depot and clearly they didn't tag the product properly and the guy couldn't find it in the system by the SKU. He was working really hard for something that was like 8 bucks. So, for the first time in my life I joked about something being free and he was like "honestly who cares" and just let us take it. Once in a lifetime response to that joke.

My work has ended for the summer so now I'm poor, lmao.

I work security at my university. Most of the time I'm walking around entire buildings for hours on end, gaining like 20,000 steps in four hours according to my watch. Although that's not even the worst part. I have to write logs on where I checked, when, and what happened although 99% of the time there was nothing. I still have to type like a full paragraph about what happened in each location even when there's nothing going on.

I also work from around 23:00 to 03:30 so my level of alertness doesn't help that.

handshake on the work over + broke summer.

my college job is... highly selective and mildly prestigious so i know i should be grateful, but i just absolutely cannot stand it. i find my coworkers obnoxious, my duties difficult and demanding, and honestly it's a lot more work than i get paid for (minimum wage, with no shifts long enough to warrant a paid break and a LOT of unpaid work). all in all i should be glad to not be doing it over the summer, BUT i'm having trouble finding seasonal work. i've been getting a lot of emails that led nowhere. i finally got a call-back for a job, but i missed the call by like 30 seconds and the number they left didn't work, so even though i called the recruiting company back promptly i think they hired someone else.

I'm a forklift operator. It's always just the same old, same old. It's very monotonous and I often find myself counting down the minutes until I can leave. I always dread going to work and feel great when I come back. Thank goodness I only have to keep this up for 2 and a half more years.

At least you can say you're forklift certified. Basically a superhero in disguise.

I'm a forklift operator. It's always just the same old, same old. It's very monotonous and I often find myself counting down the minutes until I can leave. I always dread going to work and feel great when I come back. Thank goodness I only have to keep this up for 2 and a half more years.

If you're allowed earbud you should listen to audiobooks

If you're allowed earbud you should listen to audiobooks

I'm not, its a safety thing

Sad days ๐Ÿ˜ž

I regularly get verbally abused by children for doing my job. I also get criticised by said children because I won't drop my life outside of work to respond to questions they can find answers to themselves.

Oh and I get shit from children and their parents for looking "too young" despite having years of experience and a Master's degree. No workplace is complete without a healthy dose of subtle sexism.

What a bunch of little dbags.

I may be having a slight personal crisis

oh no :(

I like working until someone dies almost directly in front of me.

Liv said:
I may be having a slight personal crisis

2 years was enough for me to hang it up.

I hate when people ask how much something is and when I can't remember off the top of my head it's "free".
I had to quit retail cuz I was one more "its free" comment away from going postal.

So I started working at this new job and its values as a whole are in the right place or headed there BUT every time I go in to work my manager is always in a fatass mood and literally everyone can feel it, so we're all walking on eggshells throughout the day until they just leave. One of my coworkers who just quit was literally cornered by them saying they need to keep their attitude in check when their at work cuz it will bring everyone else down or make them feel a certain way about the job. EVEN THOUGH SHE LITERALLY HAS THAT PROBLEM AND SHES THE MANAGER. so fucking dumb yall
I also realized that I hate working for fucking 8h+ so i'm gonna reduce my own hours, hmph

I left my job yesterday. Can enjoy two weeks of peace and quiet before going back to school.

The last two weeks of a job after you give notice are so nice.

i love quitting. today would have been the first day of another week at my factory job but i handed in my notice 3 weeks ago and now i don't have to get up at 5:30am today!! i can enjoy some peace and not work another 12h shift for the rest of the summer :3

Some old guy today threw a fit in the drive through over $.40 sauce packets. He was convinced his meal came with a free one (it didn't) and argued with the manager about it for five minutes.

He then came back through, showed me the blackened inside of his sandwich buns, and asked me if I would eat it. I said yes. He threw a fit that his sandwich was "burnt", even though it was obviously just the standard toast we give all the sandwich and burger buns.

Then he came BACK through because we misunderstood him and he actually wanted "normal buns" and not the usual brioche buns. This was also after we showed him the sandwich buns and he said it was all okay.

He spent an actual 20 minutes explaining to my manager how he's not an asshole, he just wants his food done right.

I fail to understand how people get so angry about the smallest issues with their food.

And to prove a previous hypothesis we came up with in some thread here, it was, in fact, an old white guy in a perfectly clean truck.

The most annoying part is that he saw how reluctant I was to talk to him, and mentioned that I probably don't want to deal with him anymore. He acknowledged he was being an asshole and still kept going.

These are admittedly small issues that are just part of the job, and I'm okay with that. What pisses me off is that people think it's okay to act this way.

It is an annoyance. In my past experience with this kind of thing in retail, there are two scenarios one is an unlikely one and one is a likely one.

The unlikely but possible one is that the guy is just unhinged and this is how he is. The other more likely scenario was that there was something really bad happening in his personal life and he was having a meltdown and didn't have the ability to manage or understand his emotions.

Most of the time when something happened like this and I heard the rest of the story, it would go something like this.

"We found out his granddaughter is dying in the hospital of an incurable and painful disease and he has done everything in his power and money to help her and after all of it he feels helpless and futile and he must watch this small girl die.

He doesn't know what to do and he's feeling turbulence, but the mother and father of the child are looking to him for strength so he bottles it up to take care of them, too, and tries to be a rock for his family.

Suddenly, with pent up frozen emotions, something happens where he doesn't need to protect his family and something triggers it and he just goes flailing like a drowning person finally able to be emotional and just grasping for some kind of control.

He never learned to understand emotions and he finally hit the end of his rope, a breaking point, and some hapless fast food worker unconnected to him bore the brunt of this man's pent up sorrow and despair."

Granted this is super extreme and often not this crazy, but this is the kind of narrative that plays out in my head. Some regulars were just mean people and I figured out who they were, but often times in a bad interaction someone was just having a really bad day and it all depended on the situation and my intuition about it.

I have had people get super tense with me and me manage it well and even had a lady tip me once and was like "I saw you handled my brother really well, sorry he was like that to you, he got X Y Z thing in his life and he shouldn't have treated you that way."

You know, I've never really thought about why some customers are so grumpy. You're right, everyone has their own stuff going on and maybe they're just frustrated or angry and mismanaging their emotions or having a bad day.

Thank you for reminding me that other people are people too.

Forum > General Discussion > We Hate Working